I would love to see geographers adopt the arXiv format.  I've often wondered if it would be possible to talk the arXiv folks into expanding to other disciplines. I think the primary issue there is one of funding. (Or maybe no one has asked.)

But I think arXiv's proposed "business model" is generally right way to go. It boils down to "get libraries to cough up some money" (see: http://arxiv.org/help/support/whitepaper).  I suspect that if university libraries could transition even 50% of what they spend on private journals into supporting open access journals and services like arXiv, you could destroy the dominance of the academic publishers inside of a decade, and save hundreds of millions of dollars to boot.

There are already open-source tools for managing the journal lifecycle (e.g. "Open Journal Systems" - http://pkp.sfu.ca/?q=ojs ), it's not a stretch to build on these existing resources.

it's difficult to imagine a system more archaic and ridiculous in the Internet age. (Well, maybe medical record systems, but how pathetic is that?)

The primary obstacle is not technical, or even necessarily financial, but cultural. Sadly, I've seen relatively little interest by Geographers in changing their own culture to help empower people through open access to knowledge (somewhat ironically when many of them are self-professed radicals).

Darrell