The structure of an all D-amino acid version of the HIV-1 protease was
solved in 1992 (see Milton, Milton, and Kent, 1992, Science,
256:1445-1448). The D-enzyme was seen to have a structure that is the
mirror image of the L-enzyme, and showed specificity for the enantiomeric
form of the chiral substrate.

P. Shing Ho, PhD
Professor & Chair
Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80524-1870