Is the water molecule in question coordinated to any other group(s)?

-----Original Message-----
From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kevin
Jin
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 10:22 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] On pKa of Aspartic acid

As we know, the pKa of water is 15.7. Under pH 7.0, its protonation
should be 50/50.
In this case, we may need to consider water in two formats:

H2O vs. H3O+

When we say water as acid, it usually stands for H3O+ in chemistry. In
chemical equation, H+ represents H3O+.

In enzyme catalysis, water as a general acid sounds reasonable under
pH 7.0. In some famous paper, water has been concluded as the general
base (pKa 15.7) to deprotonate an alpha hydrogen (pKa ~ 22) or a
hydrogen from a sp3 hybridized carbon (pKa ~36). This logic may need
to be reconsidered.
.
Recently, I have read papers for pKa perturbation. I am also
interested in the general base of Asp and Glu in enzyme catalysis.

I will be very happy to read your paper in the future.

Regards,

Kevin Jin