Jesse and Patrick,

You object to the notion of Aleph Null as writing or, gawd forbid, as
poetry, but I literally wrote 99.999% of it. Mostly in JavaScript, mind you.
But it is very much a written thing. To view the source code, you just right
click Aleph Null and select 'View Source'. Or, on the Mac, you press
Command+U. That Aleph Null is a written thing is just a fact. Computer
programs and HTML pages are normally written and written by people.

It seems to me that poetry is undergoing a broadening that has been ongoing
in poetry for a long time.

So many things are written. Programs, poems, stories, scripts, shopping
lists, technical manuals, advertising, news papers, on and on and on.

Some people object to the expansion of the meaning of 'poetics' that has
occurred the last few decades, so that terms like 'digital poetics' are
relatively common in connection not only with poetry and language but also
with other arts, with aesthetics and methodologies of digital media.  But,
as I see it, poetry has been broadening continually for a long time. That's
in its role as not only an art of sestinas, free verse, sonnets, and so on,
but simply as the scene of the crime. The language crime. Cuz where there's
real interesting, strong energy of language going on, poetry's got to go
there. Or it risks becoming an art of the past. Language changes. Even what
we call language changes.

ja
http://vispo.com/aleph
http://vispo.com