From: Peter Hamlin [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 01 February 2012 11:20
To: [log in to unmask]; Paul Nisbet
Cc: Peter Hamlin
Subject: Re: Mainstreaming AT - tablets and smart phones

Hi Paul,

Since it is possible to adjust the display properties of most Windows, Android or Apple devices to closely match the Black and White Kindle display, then I am uncertain as what is to be gained by purchasing a Kindle just for its display?

Again, you will need to elaborate as to why they may ‘be lots of reasons why kindle may be more suitable than a multiple purpose device’, as I regret that I am unaware of them …

---

With regard to scanning on the iOS devices, I probably should have provided further qualification with my earlier statement.  As the link you provided states, no full scanning and switch access option is available that works with all Apps on an iPad/iPodtouch/iPhone.  Neither will there be such an App provided by a 3rd party software developer for Apple devices, because as previously stated, this would violate Apple's security model (no App is allowed to access another App - except the ones allowed by Apple).

Scanning on an Apple device is only available if and only if provided within an individual App – however as soon as the user leaves the App it is ‘Game-Over’.  Should 2 Apple Apps support switch scanning, there is also the additional problem of how a single switch user would get from one Apple App to another.

Although Apple Accessibility, in their eMail to me dated 5th November 2010, said that they would forward my feedback on the ability to use a single switch scanning device with their iOS devices to the appropriate people within their organisation for consideration, Apple offered no solution.  Instead Apple forwarded me 3 hyperlinks to Apple user groups.

Therefore, unless Apple changes their security model, it is only Apple that can provide a software solution that offers full scanning and switch access for iOS.

A hardware solution may be feasible, but as acknowledged, any hardware solution for Apple devices will almost certainly have one or more shortcomings in comparison with a software solution.

Peter Hamlin [Tel: 0 (044) 1895 279162 Fax: 0 (044) 1895 279737]
Rehabilitation Engineer
North Thames Regional Environmental Control Equipment Service (NT RECES)
Alderbourne Rehabilitation Unit (Entrance 'C' - off Royal Lane)
The Hillingdon Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Pield Heath Road
Uxbridge
Middlesex

UB8 3NN