From: Pudsey, Jane [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 02 February 2012 10:24
To: Phillippa Turner
Subject: RE: Archival Alternatives to Fasteners

We face this a lot for low grade Council records. for items which have punched holes, we just use tying tape through both holes in a loop, tied at the front - this means the item has to be used carefully on a cushion, as if bound. This may not be suitable for something as high profile/likely to attract use as Dennis Potter archive.

Many years ago I looked at nylon pillar posts - again would result in a rigid/bound type structure. According to a helpful lecturer at Coventry Uni, Nylon 66 is very stable, up to temperatures above that of paper combustion.

another alternative would be archival box files/ring binder - either card fro CxD etc, or polypropylene - can't remember the supplier but I know we had some stuff from Australia over the internet a few years ago. This would rely on users lifting and turning the sheets carefully, so in some ways would leave them more vulnerable than pillar post bindings

Jane

Jane Pudsey
Senior Conservator
Coventry Heritage and Arts Trust
Herbert Art Gallery and Museum
Jordan Well
Coventry
CV1 5QP

Tel    024 7683 4978
Fax   024 7622 0171

email: [log in to unmask]
www.theherbert.org

See Turner Prize Nominated Art… World-renowned artist heads home to the city that inspires his paintings. George Shaw: I woz ere is a FREE exhibition between 18 November 2011 and 11 March 2012.

Sail the Seas… Artist Michala Gyetvai uses twisted fibres, thick wool and fine silks to capture the seasons, sunlight and rhythms of the landscape in the current gallery 4 exhibition Seas of Grass.

Be Part of an Exhibition… We're asking people to donate their stories, photos and memorabilia of the 1987 FA Cup Final to be included in the From Highfield Road to Wembley Way exhibition in 2012.  Email [log in to unmask]

Find Out More… Follow us on Twitter @the_herbert or become a Facebook fan to receive behind the scenes information on exhibitions and events.

 This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  Use of the information by anyone else is prohibited.  If you have received this email in error please contact the sender with details.  Finally, the recipient should check the email and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The email has been virus checked but the company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Coventry Heritage & Arts Trust Ltd
Registered in
England

Company No. 06438936

Registered Address  As above

Registered under the Charities Act 1960, Registration No. 1124704