Dear All,

I am hoping for some advice on the Welsh Baccalaureate.

I have had a call from the WJEC regarding our offers involving the Welsh Baccalaureate, with the implied threat that it might advise centres that we undervalue the qualification and that potential applicants may be advised not to apply to us. They are suggesting that our offers are on the harsh side (although they have been consistent for years).

A typical Business school offer, (which is the basis of the complaint) is '240 points from A Levels and pass the Welsh Baccalaureate'. We use this terminology as we have previously had a complaint for making A Level only offers, which did not acknowledge the Welsh Baccalaureate. Our Course Manager wants the points to come from A Levels, but recognises the fact that the students is doing the extra work. Our typical offer for A level only candidates is 280 points.

I would be grateful if anyone would be willing to share their views on the Welsh Baccalaureate, such as their acceptance policies or whether they have had any similar queries raised by the WJEC or Welsh schools and colleges.

I am happy to receive replies 'off-list' or to discuss over the phone.

Many thanks in advance.

Laura

Laura Harper
Head of Admissions and Student Records