*        http://www.anthropologymatters.com            *
* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.                *

Sorry to bom,bard you with emails but I wanted to put out a last minute reminder about the ASA learning and teaching event on Friday (see details below). Small grants are available from the ASA to help ASA/RAI members with travel expenses to attend the event.

Anthropology and The Student Experience
University of Manchester
Friday 2nd March, Arthur Lewis Building, 2nd floor Boardroom.

This event will focus on improving the student experience in anthropology courses. It will be aimed at anthropology teaching staff, but postgraduates who teach or intend to teach will be welcome to attend.
The day will be divided into two sessions. The morning session will look at what is meant by the often-used phrase ‘the student experience’. We will consider ways of looking at and responding to student evaluation in anthropology, including NSS scores. A particular focus will be placed upon the ‘Key Information Sets’ (KIS) that all courses will soon be required to publish, in order to begin a discussion about what these might look like for Anthropology. How will they affect what we teach and how we teach it? Can a focus on them help us to deliver a better student experience.
The afternoon session will focus specifically on a key area frequently identified by students as problematic – assessment and feedback. What are the reasons for students’ dissatisfaction with feedback, how can anthropology respond to this? Are traditional forms of assessment by exam and essay sufficient to encourage students to develop the skills an anthropology degree should offer? The session will also act as a forum to share innovative practice in these areas.
The Event will take a workshop format with short presentations, participatory activities and discussion. The event is free, but places are limited so please email Dr Ian Fairweather (teaching_learning(at)theasa.org)

Programme
10.00am Welcome & Refreshments
10.30am What is 'the student experience'
12.45pm Lunch and ASA AGM
2.00pm Assessment and Feedback
4.00pm Close

Dr Ian Fairweather