Dear All

A few weeks ago I sought your advice regarding statins and their
statistics. Thank you to the 30+ respondents, whose replies I shall be
collaging and distributing FYI in due course.

Naturally there was some overlap. The most-repeated comment was "David
Spiegelhalter will know the answer to this".

And indeed he did!

The second-most common reference was to the Framingham Heart Study, which
is the source for much of this data - see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framingham_Heart_Study

My question now - dear statisticians - is maybe not truly statistical, but
affects the statinistics. It concerns the definition of "cardiovascular
event", which is the Framingham output measure. I assume that this includes
everything from ministrokes to permanent paraplegia and death - am I right
in this? And if so, what is the conditional likelihood of the various
points on this spectrum, given that I have such an event?

e.g.I am told I have a 30% 10-year risk of a cardiovascular event. This
will reduce to 23% if I take statins like a good boy. (Strong steer from
doctor to do this.) My decision will or may be different depending upon
whether the bulk of these events are ministrokes, or whether the bulk is at
the serious end of the spectrum. (I guess it's mainly in the middle - but
what is the middle; indeed, what is the metric?)

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide. If I do not reply it is more
likely due to email overload than to any other adverse event.

JOHN BIBBY

SIGNOFF allstat