Is it intended that samples will go via the local clinical chemistry labs to the trace element labs, or are they to go directly from the clinicians? If it's to be the former (and we seem to get a handful of such requests at the moment) it might be sensible to co-ordinate things so we don't all send our samples to one or two centres and overwhelm them, if there is some underused capacity elsewhere. Should there be designated regional trace element labs for this?

Paul

Dr Paul Masters BSc MBChB (Hons) CSci FRCPath
Consultant Chemical Pathologist

Chesterfield Royal Hospital, S44 5BL
01246 512212

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential or privileged material.  Any review, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you have received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

The contents of this transmission are not necessarily the policy or opinion of the Chesterfield Royal Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, or representative of any policy or opinion of the Trust.

>>> "Sampson, Barry" <[log in to unmask]> 29/02/2012 09:55 >>>
If everyone responds to this demand I am sure we (the SAS labs and others)
can cope, but it will be interesting!

cheaper than MRI scans.  The ASR testing is funded by DePuy, but other
costs must be found locally.

Best wishes

Barry

Barry Sampson
Consultant Clinical Scientist and Honorary Lecturer
Director, SAS Trace Element Laboratory
Clinical Biochemistry
Charing Cross Hospital (Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust) & Imperial
College School of Medicine London W6 8RF UK
Phone +44-020-8383 3644
Fax +44-020-8846-7007

On 29/02/2012 09:10, "Paul Masters"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>According to the man from the MHRA on the radio last night there are 49
>000 patients requiring annual cobalt and chromium testing. That's getting
>on for 1 000 a week. Out of interest, is there enough analytical capacity
>in the UK to cope with this workload?
>Paul Masters

>This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community
>working in clinical biochemistry.
>Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the
>internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are
>responsible for all message content.
>ACB Web Site
>http://www.acb.org.uk
>Green Laboratories Work
>http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk
>List Archives
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html
>List Instructions (How to leave etc.)
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

Save Lives - Clean Your Hands
Hand washing is the simplest and most effective way of preventing infections. Help to prevent infection at Chesterfield Royal Hospital by cleaning your hands.

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk