Well, if you want to do the higher level analysis easily within the
context of FEAT, then you need to do the differencing within FEAT as
well, so that the necessary other files (e.g., varcopes) are created.
Plus, doing the differencing within FEAT will allow you to bring the
lower level variances up to the next level.

cheers,
-MH