So, to summarise:
- We like the idea of things like RAID, redundant PSUs, and
  hot-swap disks for the sake of keeping things up, and for
  the sake of peaceful contented sysadmins,
- We like 10Gbit cards,
- We don't want to gratuitously overspend on pointless stuff.

I think the R310 and R610 specs that I posted look reasonable,
but it would be useful to get quotes from Dell for the R310
with a 10Gbit Ethernet card (and confirmation that it's
capable of driving one at a decent rate, which is different
from 'it basically functions'), and also for an R610 with a
single CPU.

Is that fair, or does anyone want to suggest anything else,
because we want to get a final answer to this quite shortly
so people can actually go buy things.

Ewan