If you just want to acknowledge the use of the software, there is
no need to cite. See page 76 of ... SUN/139.

I'd use something similar to a book. There is of course a publisher.

  Draper P.W., Taylor M., Allan A., 2006, CCDPACK - CCD data reduction
    package - version 4.0, Starlink User Note 139, Particle Physics &
    Astronomy Research Council, Didcot

Pretending Starlink User Note is a journal known the world over
is indeed not very helpful for astronomers that don't know what
Starlink was.

On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 10:54 +0000, Mark Taylor wrote:
> Is there an approved way to reference Starlink documents in papers?
>
> I have a friend who's tried to include a reference to a SUN in
> the bibliography of a MNRAS paper, but MNRAS don't like it because
> it doesn't have a publisher.  For instance the following was
> rejected:
>
>    Draper P.W., Taylor M., Allan A., 2006, Starlink User Note 139
>
> What's the right way to cite it?
>
> thanks
>
> Mark
>
> --
> Mark Taylor   Astronomical Programmer   Physics, Bristol University, UK
> [log in to unmask] +44-117-928-8776 http://www.star.bris.ac.uk/~mbt/
>
> ----
> Starlink User Support list

  Horst Meyerdierks                 Royal Observatory Edinburgh
  Linux/Network Manager                           [log in to unmask]
  http://www.roe.ac.uk/~hme/                   +44-131-6688-309

--
Scanned by iCritical.

----