Dear Xin,

I am now involved in a project examining the nonlinear effects of effective connectivity. For our fMRI data, I have constructed several nonlinear DCM models as well as regular bilinear DCM models. Unfortunately, the model comparison procedure always give higher evidence for the bilinear models, even though I have evidence from the physiophysiological interaction analysis that there might be a nonnlinear modulation effect. So I started to think whether it is appropriate to directly compare nonlinear DCMs to the bilinear DCMs.

So I constructed two "bilinear" DCM models:

Model A was set as no nonlinear effects, with some connectivity parameters of DCM.a, DCM.b, and DCM.c.

Model B was set as with nonlinear effects, but all the DCM.d parameters are set as zeros. All other parameters of DCM.a, DCM.b, and DCM.c were exactly the same as model A.

To my understand, I think model A and B should have same model evidence, because all the zero parameters of DCM.d will not accounted in model complexity. However, when I compared model A and B using model comparison procedure, model A was always better than model B. I want to ask that why model A is better than model B in this circumstance? And is it reasonable to use model B as a control bilinear model when I want to illustrate nonlinear effects of some nonlinear DCMs?

That is interesting. You are absolutely right that the two models should have the same evidence – in theory.   However, the use of a nonlinear DCM requires a slightly more elaborate integration scheme (because the states need to be updated more frequently - because they change connectivity):

% specify parameters for spm_int_D (ensuring updates every second or so)

%--------------------------------------------------------------------------

if DCM.options.nonlinear

    M.IS     = 'spm_int_D';

    M.nsteps = round(max(Y.dt,1));

    M.states = 1:n;

else

    M.IS     = 'spm_int';

end

This means that the model predictions will be slightly different and that models A and B are (in effect) different. I think it is a very good idea to compare nonlinear models with and without non-zero D parameters (i.e. use model B as a null nonlinear model). This ensures the same integration scheme is used for both.

I suspect that, in the absence of nonlinear coupling effects, the standard integration scheme is slightly more accurate – this may be why model A has greater evidence than model B.

I hope this helps.

With very best wishes and Happy New Year – Karl