I've been looking at the Small Volume Correction Statistics and previous posts on the topic. One post mentioned that there should be little difference between an explicit mask and masking with during SVC (with the exception of smoothing and hyperparameters). To control for these two things, I did small volume correction on the data with the mask.img file. Thus, the number of voxels analyzed and the statistical signifcance should be the same.

However, what I found was the FWEp values are the same, the cluster sizes are the same, the FWEp for the voxels are the same, the uncorrected statistics for clusters and voxels are the same. The difference is in the FDR corrected statistics. They have changed.

(1) Why would the FDR statistics change if the search volume is the same?

(2) The FWEc and FDRc values are identical (and do not match the table). For example, a cluster of 273 voxels has a FWEp for the cluster of .009 -- so it seems that the FWEc value should be 273 as it was with the whole brain statistics. FDRc value of 305 doesn't exist in the table. The largest cluster is 273 voxels and is not significant with FDR correction. Am I miss understanding what SVC is doing or is something else going on with the data?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School