Dear Gregor,

The idea behing BEM is that the model consists in nested volumes with
uniform and isotropic conductivities.
A thin CSF volume could have been included between the "brain volume"
and "skull volume" but wasn't because
- at the time that CSF layer was difficult to extract from sMRI
- its influence would be relatively small given the high conductivity of
CSF in a thin layer around the brain volume
- it could have lead to numerical errors given the thinness of that
compartment
- time would have been better spent including the ventricles or other
bits of the head in the model.

Best,
Chris