On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Kris Baetens <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear SPM’ers,
>
> I'm sorry for the somewhat basic questions, but I'm very confused by the
> second-level analysis of some parametric modulations, and haven't found
> another post that was completely comparable.
>
> Participants conducted four different tasks during an experiment. After
> each trial they rated how difficult they had experienced this trial to be.
>
> On the first level I defined four conditions with a parametric modulator
> each (the difficulty rating). As helpfully suggested earlier on this list,
> I have asked a contrast for each condition and two contrasts for each
> parametric modulator (positive - negative regression slope).
> 1.      How are the resulting images of the condition contrasts – if at
> all – influenced by including the parametric modulators in the first level?
> Is it useful to compare these images to those that result from a
> first-level analysis without modulators?

In theory, these should be the same since one is orthogonal to the other;
however, in practice they will be slighltly different because of multiple
tasks. I would stick with one model.

> On the second level, I conducted a within-subjects one-way ANOVA (with
> equal variance, no independence) to investigate the effect of the
> conditions themselves.
> To investigate the effect of difficulty on a group level, I made use of a
> flexible factorial design. I am absolutely uncertain whether what I did
> here makes sense. I specified two factors (condition and positive/negative
> difficulty regressor slope). I specified conditions/subject in an 8x2
> double (1 1 , 2 1, 3 1, 4 1, 1 2, 2 2, 3 2, 4 2), meaning that I only input
> the 8 con images of the first level representing the parametric modulators.
> Then in the contrast manager, I specified a t-contrast for each of the 8
> parametric modulations (4 conditions x 2). For example, for increasing
> difficulty ratings in the first condition, I entered the vector 1 0 0 0 1 0
> 0 0 0 0 0 0.
> 2.      Is this approach correct?

No. The positive and negative slopes have a perfect correlation. Just use
the ones with a positive slope. To test negative slopes invert the contrast.

> 3.      Is it correct to interpret the results as representing regions in
> which there was a significant interaction between a given condition and
> difficulty?

In the new model yes. Make sure you have columns for each subject as well.

> 4.      Is it normal that the condition contrast images are not required
> in this step of the analysis?

For the question you are asking, yes.

> 5.      Is it correct to input “No independence” and “Equal variance” here
> for both factors?

Yes. But you only need one factor as described above.

> 6.      Is it customary to investigate the impact of the conditions
> themselves and the parametric modulators in two different analyses? Can
> they be combined?

You will want one first level analysis and two second level analyses.