Dear Glen

Here are the equation which SPM uses:

t=c'*beta/sqrt(var(c'*beta))

' means transpose and c'*beta is your contrast image. This can be written as:

t=c'*beta/sqrt(sigma^2*c'*pinv(X'*V*X)*c)

pinv is the pseudoinverse and sigma is

sigma^2= e'*e/(J-rank(X), where J is the number of observations

V is the covariance matrix which for i.i.d. errors is simply the identity matrix, but if you have chosen to model dependency it is a pooled estimate over all voxels in an effects of interest mask, estimated using spm_reml.

Best
Torben

Torben Ellegaard Lund
Associate Professor, PhD
Center of Functionally Integrative Neuroscience (CFIN)
Aarhus University
Aarhus University Hospital
Building 10G, 5th floor, room 31
Noerrebrogade 44