A slight correction to my original email (thanks to Darren for pointing out
my oversimplification of the issue):

At the top of the Jeanette's page, the following text can be found:
"Also important is that if you have multiple groups (see third model
example) you should not mean center within each group separately. The
reason for this is that your continuous covariate may actually describe
some of the group differences, and then mean centering within group will
remove this important aspect of the covariate. For example, if you have two
groups and one is significantly younger than the other, this difference in
ages between groups may explain brain activation differences. If you mean
center age within each group, then each group's set of ages will be
centered about the same value, 0, and then you risk detecting group
differences that are actually just attributable to age."

This is a true statement. However, the other view is that you can miss
group differences using this approach as well. Take for example, covariate
B. Covariate B differs between two groups. Within each group covariate B
does not correlate with the dependent variable. If you do not mean-center
within each group, then the group differences are attributed to covariate
B, rather than groups. In summary, one should look at several models to
understand the relationship of the covariate with the data before including
it in the model and recognize how that not mean centering across the entire
sample can confound the group differences even when the covariate is
unrelated to the dependent variable.

See inline responses below.

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 11:16 AM, mmkleung <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Dr. McLaren,
>
> Thanks for the website. I got some useful materials there to read further.
>
> If I run model (3) with the covariates zero-meaned within each group and
> find that the slopes modelling GMV and Q1 in group1 and group2 are not
> different (i.e. no significant result for 0 0 .5 -.5  or  0 0 -.5 .5), then
> I go on to test for the common correlation, but is there any difference
> between the following two methods?
>
> 1) group the two groups of image together in a single column (e.g. using
> multiple regression) and study the relationship between GMV and Q1 in all
> subjects
> 2) do the contrast (0 0 .5 .5) using model (3)
>
> If yes, is it because model (3) allows difference in variance between
> groups to be modelled properly?

It allows for different slopes to be modelled, even if they are not
significantly different. In doing so, you can for more of the variance in
the data.