From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Burkill, Sue
Sent: 03 January 2012 15:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: A tricky assessment challenge

Dear Colleagues

At Exeter we are planning to run a two week intensive end of year (May) event for our first year students in 2013. This has been 'decided' and the event will be 'mandatory'. So now we need to make it pedagogically sound, really attractive and worth staying for.

There will be a 'pot pourri' of opportunities for skills/employability development and a/some big social event(s) run by the Student Guild. However, the backbone will be an intensive cross curricula and integrative learning event - it may be based on one theme or a range of diverse themes provided by teams of staff. It will be launched with  big name speakers. Students will have taster sessions in January and will make choices. We imagine about fifty academics and lots of PGR students will be involved in the event each year (workload models are under discussion) and students will work in groups of about 25 to address a problem/issue which will unravel over the two weeks. There will be an events manager to co-ordinate all this (probably the sort of person who co-ordinates a major two week sporting event like Wimbledon!). There will also be a curriculum and assessment co-ordinator to support the process.

The key issue (for me) is whether to assess or not. Without assessment I can see the students will all escape to Glastonbury, summer jobs etc.

There is nothing I can find on the web (US, Australasia or UK based) after an extensive search about providing an assignment based on intensive learning activities after examinations in the summer for which the grades count towards second year credits (too late for first year exam boards).

So these are the questions:

1.	Has anyone ever tried, written about or heard of assessment which runs at the end of year 1 and counts for credit in year 2? If so please can I have a link or name?

2.	Are there any reasons why we should not use an assignment which starts in one year and goes into the next? What would the QAA say? Are there level based criteria implications?  (our Dean for Taught Programmes seems very uneasy but I cannot see why it should be impossible can you?)

3. Bearing in mind that staff are keen to avoid 'extra' marking etc what might be a 'work light' assessment approach? (Therefore, portfolios are not really an option, but what might work?)

This will all contribute towards a case study for the PASS project which Exeter is contributing to. If you are interested in the idea of programme level assessment have a look at the project website at
http://www.pass.brad.ac.uk/

Best wishes for a Happy New Year.
Sue

Sue Burkill