From: Discussion of the implications of FoI for FE and HE institutions [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steve Bailey - JISC infoNet
Sent: 27 January 2012 09:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Records management the true cost of FOI? (Hybrid question straddles both disciplines so cross posting)

Hi Lawrence,

Its certainly hard to deny that compliance is an important weapon in our armoury but I do think its one we produce rather too often.  I've written and presented on this elsewhere but in essence my concern is that not only is compliance context-specific (as previous replies have rightly said) but frankly its rather boring.  This is not a flippant point and what I mean by it is that it is essentially a negative investment: spending money on compliance is spending money to prevent something happening (getting sued etc) it is not an investment which overtly benefits the organisation.  It does not make it more efficient, more creative, more productive, more profitable etc.  Of course we may argue that some of these should/could happen as a result of the kind of RM-investment we are making as part of increased compliance but its usually a fairly weak and unproven argument, often given as a kind of after thought to the main compliance message.

As budgets shrink I worry that this leaves RM rather out on a limb: unable to prove the positive impact it makes to the organisation and clinging to a compliance message which whilst still obviously on the SMT-radar may not be considered quite the priority it was when money was more plentiful.  Of course every senior management team worth their salt appreciates the importance of keeping out of court but appetites to risk will undoubtedly harden in many quarters especially, as Paula remarks, the likely sanctions are not seen to be too draconian.

And if this is true for senior management I'd argue the same is true in spades for the average user whose interest in or concern for corporate compliance is often minimal at best. RM is fundamentally reliant on the thousands of actions carried out by hundreds of users each and every day.  By and large these are people who want to turn up, do their job as quickly and easily as possible and go home again.  Tools which demonstrably enable them to do this better are likely to be welcomed, tools which impose extra barriers and change working practices simply to keep someone else out of trouble will not.  Obviously in extreme examples compliance issues could make or break the organisation they work for so you could argue they should have concern for such issues, but I'm not convinced people really think that way.

In short, compliance should be at the core of RM but it should be a given, something both we and our funders take for granted that we will sort.  What we should be focusing on instead is how we hide all this from the user and how we demonstrate value added benefit to both individual users and the efficiency of the organisation as a whole

To address another of your points: "At this time, I am not focusing on the method by which the estimated cost is calculated. I have always felt that it is distorted because it is based on crude estimates rather than a rigorous approach and thus reflects an organisational (or cultural) response to FOIA than an issue of economic resources".

I agree entirely and this is why we are currently funding 7 universities to capture in detail the exact time taken to respond to 5 requests each.  This tracking information will be profiled by each stage of answering a request (logging, locating the information , considering exemptions etc) and we are also capturing the salary of each person involved along the way so at the end we should have as robust an idea of the true cost of answering a range of requests as it is possible to get.  I should also add that these projects also have to include a couple of 'round robin' requests in their mix to get an idea of how different institutions answer the same requests.  We are also asking each institution to complete the RM Maturity Model as well.  Obviously we have to be careful about not drawing too many conclusions from this but it will be interesting to see if there any apparent links between areas of (im)maturity and cost differences.  The results of this work should be available in March.  We also hope to make the (Googledocs/Excel based) tool freely available afterwards for anyone who wishes to apply the same methodology within their own organisations.

Best wishes

Steve