From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Lawrence Upton
Sent: 25 January 2012 11:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Surprise snap

Ah Andrew

This all sounds familiar, assuming _scissors_ indicates cut up rather than
self-harm.

& I muttered something myself yesterday about habit.

After I had sent this morning's message, I wondered about my reference to
_meaning_

I do aim for it quite often. In the landscape poems, for instance; but there
are many kinds of meaning; and actually it drives me some way up the wall
when people ask: What does it mean? or: I don't know what it means?
(They mean the kind of meaning one expects of a training manual -- I saw a
tv recently -- yes! -- and an advertisement which slated recipe books as
being hard to follow and proposed its own recipe cards with little sachets
of herbs measured out. For those of us who ask: What do you mean by _a
teaspoon_? What do you mean by 5 grams?)

I seem to have slipped into Mr Tranter's tarpit

There's something holistic, I suppose, in being surprised by one's own poem
on the subject of surprise

>>> http://hispirits.blogspot.com/

----