Regards,

Carr

On Jan 22, 2012 10:55 AM, "sharon naylor" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Always useful to remember that being p****d off with work or a manager is not the same as enduring mental health issues, and that the GPs role as the patients advocate is to act in the interests of his patient - therefore quite often not an issues of "fitness" per se but an issue of how long the individual will choose/want to stay away from work sanctioned by relevant certification. Not saying that this is wrong necessarily - its just the way it is on accasion. Long term or recurrent absences without onward referral or active treatment is usually a big clue....

I often advise that the issues in such cases are not necessarilly clinical in origin and more therefore may be achieved by management rather than clinical intervention. Or in other words - you can chuck all the "counselling" and OH referrals you want at the case but without a full and frank discussion re the issues with the people concerned the problem will persist

Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 00:30:03 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] work related stress preventing return to work
To: [log in to unmask]

When I meet a client or the first time I introduce myself by name and title Occupational Health Advisor. I explain that I am a nurse with further training and qualifications in the interaction of work and health.

That is where our specific expertise lies... the interaction of work and health... not in specific health issues...

I agree.. tell the that you are appropriately qualified for the role.

This must be harder for those who  do not have the appropriate qualifications or experience...
Cheers
Diane
******************************** Please remove this footer before replying. OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html