Dear Colleagues

I have just joined the group and wish to introduce myself. I am visiting Professor of Midwifery at KCL and at UTS. My  practice is in an NHS birth centre and community service and we attend births at home, in the birth centre and sometimes in hospital. We provide antenatal and postnatal care. My interest over many years has been in evaluation of different models of care ( particularly continuity of care) and place of birth. I have also worked on and written extensively about getting research into practice and evidence based midwifery. I am particularly interested at the moment in using the outcomes from the birthplace study to give women good information about place of birth-and would love to hear views on that. This is because I do a lot of 'booking visits' and am perpetually challenged about how we help women understand this information. I think this gets us into the realm of public understanding of science. I would like to see some work in this-and on a more practical level a postcard or 'stamp' or sticky that we can put in women's notes regarding the evidence on place of birth when we have talked it through.