On 01/24/12, BRIGGS JOHN <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
[log in to unmask]" class="iwcQuote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 255); padding-left: 13px; margin-left: 0pt;" type="cite">

On 24/01/2012, John Dillon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Try Baudri of Bourgeuil's Vita of Robert of Arbrissel (BHL 7259), cap. 9 in
> the edition in the _AA.SS._, in a sentence narrating Robert's early career
> at Rennes:
>
> Quatuor igitur annis apud
> Episcopum ita demoratus Archipresbyter, pacem
> inter discordes reformando, Ecclesias ab infami
> laïcorum ancillatu liberando, incestas Sacerdotum &
> laïcorum copulationes dirimendo, Simoniam penitus
> abhorrebat, omnibusque vitiis viriliter resistebat.

It would be interesting to know precisely what his role as Archpriest
was. Was he Cathedral Archpriest [which we would normally call Dean],
City Archpriest [Urban Dean or Dean of Christianity] or Rural
Archpriest [Rural Dean - with or without an Archdeacon over him]?

(In some cities - e.g. Chartres... - the Dean of the urban parishes
was called Archpriest to avoid confusion with the Cathedral Dean,
whereas they are Rural Deans elsewhere in the diocese.)

As Baudri goes on to say that Robert made himself unloved by the canons, I would guess that he functioned as cathedral archpriest.  Possibly there's some discussion of this in Jacques Dalarun, ed., _Les deux vies de Robert d'Arbrissel, fondateur de Fontevraud: légendes, écrits et témoignages_ (Brepols, 2006).

Best again,
John Dillon