To the question which posture - I was looking at a photo of an early-twelfth century French sculpture of a an adolescent (probably an oblate) standing in front adult monk.  The boy has his head bowed and his hands joined in what we know consider to be the prayer position.   Both his hands are together, in front of him, at his waist level, the fingers pointing outward from his body.  I found myself assuming that he was praying and then began to wonder about the assumption.

Ruth