There is a canon from the early fourth-century Council of Elvira that asserts that all clergy ordained to the diaconate and above needed to be celibate (obviously, this was really just a local council and had little, if any, force).

I’m not at all sure of the term Nicolaitism (aside from the fact that it’s obviously named for someone named Nicholas). My initial thought would be that there may have been a 10th or 11th century theologian named Nicholas who argued in favor of clerical marriage. On the other hand, it could easily be a reference to the first-century Nicolaitans, especially since Irenaeus described them as licentious, Bede and Aquinas attribute sexual immorality to them. Polemicists and synodal condemnations frequently describe heretics with the labels of the great heretics of old (iconophiles and iconoclasts took turns accusing one another of being either monophysites or Nestorians).

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Marjorie Greene
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 2:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] training of a priest

According to Wiki, the fight against clerical marriage began earlier than the Greg. Reform.
I found this when I looked up "nicolaitism," the term for clerical marriage/concubinage.
" In 888, two local councils, that of Metz and that of Mainz, prohibited cohabitation even with wives living in continence. This tendency was taken up by the 11th century Gregorian Reform<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_Reform>, which aimed at eliminating what it called "Nicolaitism",[49]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_celibacy#cite_note-48> that is clerical marriage<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_marriage>, which in spite of being theoretically excluded was in fact practised,[50]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_celibacy#cite_note-49> and concubinage."
I looked up "nicolaitism" in an effort to find its etymology and came up short as I have no access to huge on-line dictionaries. If anyone can help, please let me know.
MG

Marjorie Greene
http://medrelart.shutterfly.com/