From: UK medical/ health care library community / information workers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Austin Susan (South of Tyne and Wear)
Sent: 24 January 2012 11:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: BL Catalogue - some answers

A few more tips from a list of feedback questions I sent to BL (who responded very quickly) - thought it might be useful to share them.
There is also quite a lot of information under Help on the home page - training videos, text of videos and pdf helpsheets.

Searching for ISBNs and ISSNs
You can search for ISBNs and ISSNs using a simple search.

To search for ISBNs, just enter the number in the search box and click on search. You don't need to specify that you are searching for an ISBN, but they are indexed and doing a search like this will find them

To search for ISSNs, enter them in the search box but include the hyphen.

To see journal holdings
The easiest way to see the holdings of a journal is when you have found the item you want, click on the "I want this" tab, and then click on "Go." The page which is then displayed shows you the holdings details, where it is available (we don't have it for all journals).
(Have to say I haven't found any holdings details yet but I've only searched a few titles)

There are several different ways you can specify Document Supply
material:

You can do your initial search, then use the Refine options on the left hand side of the screen. You should see the option to refine by collection, and one of those specified will be Document Supply (providing some of your search results fall into this collection)

Alternative, you could choose "Remote supply" using the down arrow next to Everything in this catalogue (by the search box). Your search will then be restricted to material available for Document Supply

Finally, if you use Advanced search you can specify Remote supply in the Search scope options, and again this will limit your search to Document Supply material. I will have to check with colleagues about whether or not a shelfmark has to be included on DSC requests.

Displaying more than 10 search results on screen
You can display more than ten items at a time. If you are logged in, click on the Personal settings tab in the top right hand corner. You can change the number of results displayed from here.

Searching for a single-word journal title using 'is(exact)' brings up a long list of hits; the first few are single word, but how are the remaining ones ordered or ranked?
The default sort setting for results is by relevance (this is why the one word titles come up to the top of the list).   .... will have to consult with colleagues about the ordering of results after these one word titles.

Susan Austin
Key Library & Knowledge Services
South Tyneside NHS Foundation Trust
Hebburn  NE31 1AT
Tel: 0191 283 1118
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.

[cid:655161712@24012012-051F]