I'm interested to know what other university and college policies are for buying DVDs, and also what issues you all have regarding cataloguing items from non-standard suppliers.

Re purchase : I'd like to hear whether those institutions who purchase DVDs do so in the same ratio as for books. As an example, if your policy states that you will buy one copy of a book per ten students, would you buy the same number of DVDs? If not, why not, and how would the numbers vary?

Re cataloguing : how are institutions addressing the problem of cataloguing DVDs from non-standard suppliers? Has anyone found an affordable outsourced service?

I'd also be interested to know views on the use of streaming services. Does anyone know of streaming services (like LoveFilm, Netflicks etc) that work with academic institutions?

Thanks in anticipation. I will do my best to summarise for the list.

Phil Jones
University of Roehampton