From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hugh Winfield
Sent: 26 January 2012 13:31
To: Issues related to Historic Environment Records; Chris Wardle
Subject: Dual Designated Sites and PPS5

Afternoon All,

This is a bit of a philosophical question rather than any kind of practical concern, so feel free to delete!

PPS5 (HE9.1) implies that a scheduled monument is roughly equivalent to a Grade II* (two star) or I (one) Listed Building - so why are dual designated sites, such as churchyard crosses, so often only Grade II (two)?
This is something that I have been thinking about since my Scheduling request for a WW2 5.25" Heavy Anti Aircraft Battery was changed to a Listing case and I started to think about what Grade it would come out as There are two HAA batteries on the List and both are Grade II (two); however, with the vast majority of these sites being Scheduled I have to wonder if II* (Two Star) is more suitable, if Listing is even appropriate in the first place!

Maybe I'm over thinking things (I have had an extremely long time to think about this case), but I'd like to know if anyone else has thought about this,

Cheers,

Hugh

Hugh Winfield
Archaeologist and Historic Environment Record Officer
Development Management
Origin One, Origin Way
Europarc, Grimsby
North East Lincolnshire
DN37 9TZ
Tel: (01472) 32 3586 Fax: (01472) 32 4216

Access maps of the Archaeological and Historic sites, buildings and monuments in North East Lincolnshire here: http://isharemaps.nelincs.gov.uk/mynelc.aspx

P Reduce your environmental footprint, please do not print this
email unless you really need to.

This
electronic message contains information from North East Lincolnshire Council
which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for
the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the
contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this
electronic message in error, please telephone or email the number(s) or address
above immediately. Activity and use of the North East Lincolnshire email system
is monitored to secure its effective operation and for other lawful business
purposes. Communications using this system will also be monitored and may be
recorded to secure effective operation and for other lawful business purposes.
Scanned by Anti Virus Software