From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Winfield, Hugh
Sent: Thursday 26 January 2012 13:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Dual Designated Sites and PPS5

Afternoon All,

This is a bit of a philosophical question rather than any kind of practical concern, so feel free to delete!

PPS5 (HE9.1) implies that a scheduled monument is roughly equivalent to a Grade II* (two star) or I (one) Listed Building - so why are dual designated sites, such as churchyard crosses, so often only Grade II (two)?
This is something that I have been thinking about since my Scheduling request for a WW2 5.25" Heavy Anti Aircraft Battery was changed to a Listing case and I started to think about what Grade it would come out as. There are two HAA batteries on the List and both are Grade II (two); however, with the vast majority of these sites being Scheduled I have to wonder if II* (Two Star) is more suitable, if Listing is even appropriate in the first place!

Maybe I'm over thinking things (I have had an extremely long time to think about this case), but I'd like to know if anyone else has thought about this,

Cheers,

Hugh

Hugh Winfield
Archaeologist and Historic Environment Record Officer

Development Management
Origin One, Origin Way
Europarc, Grimsby
North East Lincolnshire
DN37 9TZ
Tel: (01472) 32 3586 Fax: (01472) 32 4216

Access maps of the Archaeological and Historic sites, buildings and monuments in North East Lincolnshire here: http://isharemaps.nelincs.gov.uk/mynelc.aspx

P Reduce your environmental footprint, please do not print this email unless you really need to.

This electronic message contains information from North East Lincolnshire Council which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please telephone or email the number(s) or address above immediately. Activity and use of the North East Lincolnshire email system is monitored to secure its effective operation and for other lawful business purposes. Communications using this system will also be monitored and may be recorded to secure effective operation and for other lawful business purposes. Scanned by Anti Virus Software

Buckinghamshire County Council

Visit our Web Site : http://www.buckscc.gov.uk

Buckinghamshire County Council Email Disclaimer

This Email, and any attachments, may contain Protected or Restricted information and is intended solely for the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain sensitive or protectively marked material and should be handled accordingly. If this Email has been misdirected, please notify the author or [log in to unmask] immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on any of the information contained in it or attached, and all copies must be deleted immediately. Whilst we take reasonable steps to try to identify any software viruses, any attachments to this Email may nevertheless contain viruses which our anti-virus software has failed to identify. You should therefore carry out your own anti-virus checks before opening any documents. Buckinghamshire County Council will not accept any liability for damage caused by computer viruses emanating from any attachment or other document supplied with this e-mail. All GCSx traffic may be subject to recording and / or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.

The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of Buckinghamshire County Council unless explicitly stated.

This footnote also confirms that this email has been swept for content and for the presence of computer viruses.