Interesting concept indeed.   As GIS systems such as QGIS are now free and readily available.

I was not aware of the Aspire Lite table.     that would be useful.   and perhaps the data table could be printed along with a download link ) with every application Brief.

If I had this, it would be the work of a moment to get it in the form that would be of most use (  with my contractors hat on )

It may be time for BAJR to perhaps create the idiots guide to creating the required data on the OpenSource QGIS.   to provide shp files with the data.  the question is....

Do you all require the same data?

David Connolly
British Archaeological Jobs Resource
BAJR - www.bajr.org
Old Schoolrooms
Luggate Burn
Whittingehame
East Lothian
EH41 4QA

T: 01620 861643
M 0787 6528 498
E [log in to unmask]

Archaeology for All!

are addressed. Use outwith this may be unlawful.

Hello Sylvina,

We routinely ask contractors to supply reports as doc and pdf files, we also ask for digital photos. We ask them to supply shapefiles of their events if possible, but we don’t insist on it as some of the smaller contractors may not have access to GIS. In practice hardly anyone ever supplies this. For larger landscape surveys, walkover surveys etc, we ask them for a digital site gazetteer. I have devised a simple table, sort of AspireLite, to make this easier, but as yet no one has used this. It is some time since the last large survey in our area, so waiting for the next one to really insist on this!

Stephanie