From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Shaw
Sent: 17 January 2012 11:09
To: Issues related to Historic Environment Records; Chris Wardle
Subject: Re: Digital data from archaeological contractors

Just a quick comment on Heritage Gateway data.  Some of it is live from HERs, in other cases it is uploaded every so often - in my case around every 6 months so you wouldn't necessarily be getting up to date data getting it live from HG as it is configured at the moment.

I am in total agreement over necessity to go over to increasing use of digital data.  Asking for digital copies of reports and maps and submission of report to OASIS should be a minimum.  I generally encourage submission of GIS data rather than require it - apart from where we are funding large assessment such as HLCs where we have control.  Even for a small contractor  the acquisition of GIS software is not a huge outlay - and is presumably tax deductible? - and the acquisition of sufficient knowledge to use it can swiftly repay itself in time saved especially now that more and more digital data is available on open access.  Pity historic ordnance survey maps are available without paying several arms and legs for it.  The case for acquiring GIS would be unanswerable then.

Mike

Mike Shaw
City Archaeologist
Wolverhampton City Council
Civic Centre
Wolverhampton
WV1 1RP
e-mail [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>