Hello Virginia,

Lots of good advice on sources of good structural problem maps and solutions. I particularly like Derek Powell’s partly because we were once colleagues and remain good friends. Problem maps can be a great teaching tool but they are really cross word puzzles rather than the real thing. So in this sense think of Derek and the other authors in much the same way that you would think of cross word puzzle setters.

In our experience getting students to apply these techniques to real geological maps and to construct good “balancable” cross section is the key issue. Quite often students can learn to recognise the appropriate technique and apply it when confronted with a problem map but then fail take the lessons across to the real world. Think about coupling the puzzle exercises with work on published maps, particularly if you can then take them off and walk them across the map.

I’d also urge you to think about augmenting the teaching of map and problem map work on paper by draping your chosen exercises on to a DEM and getting the students to play digitally in 3d. A lot of our academic users of Move are now doing this either as a demonstration exercise or by getting the students to do it themselves depending on what kit they have in the labs. The students love it and things they struggle to understand on problem maps become much easier for many when they can play in 3d and build bits of the model that join the section to the map. Plus all the tools to balance and forward model are there in Move for you too.

Good luck with this, map and section skills are critical for all professional geologists and really do need the best teaching and support right through university. Keep up the good work!

Alan

Software available from:

http://www.mve.com/academic/academic-software-initative

Dr Alan Gibbs