Overview:

The Barrow Neurological Institute (BNI), in Phoenix, has a world-class imaging research team that produces next-generation methods for Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI).  We primarily develop new algorithms for collecting MRI data and reconstructing images, using signal processing and other mathematics along with knowledge of physics and medicine.  We are working to change the standard for routine clinical MRI, making it better for every patient and more cost effective for global healthcare.

We are looking for a motivated individual who will work with our researchers to perform a variety of computer-engineering tasks, including algorithm implementation, program optimization, GPU programming, creation of a visual programming environment for MR research, and IT administration.

Position Information:

The individual will help the faculty to develop algorithms and write efficient code (in C/C++), and port computationally intensive algorithms to a GPU.  Over time, they will re-engineer a visual programming environment for our team, to facilitate the development environment and product (final code) creation.  They will be responsible for all of the (primarily Linux) computers in the center and related administrative functions, which should average no more than 10% of the job. The individual will have the opportunity to travel each year to the annual meeting of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM), which will be in Melbourne, Australia, in May 2012.  The person in this position will report to Jim Pipe, Ph.D., Director of Neuroimaging Research at the BNI.

Requirements include:

a Masters degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related fields

• high-level experience with C/C++ programming, memory management, etc.

• training/experience with GPU programming

• training/experience with GUI programming

• Linux administrator skills

• some training in signal processing and linear algebra

• strong interpersonal and communication skills

• creativity and a desire to learn

• ability to write well and present thoughts clearly

Facilities and Environment:

Work will be performed in the Keller Center for Imaging Innovation at the BNI in Phoenix, Arizona.  The Keller Center was built to bring together clinical, academic, and industry expertise to produce robust clinical imaging technology and bring it to market.  Towards that end, it houses BNI faculty and staff, Arizona State University (ASU) engineering faculty and students, and (soon) a Philips clinical scientist.  This Keller Center has a 3 Tesla research MRI scanner dedicated to this effort.

The BNI performs more neurosurgeries under one roof than anywhere in the world, and is located within St. Joseph’s Hospital, the largest hospital in Arizona.  It has the largest neuroradiology fellowship program and the largest neurosurgery residency program in the United States.  Its academic partner for imaging research, ASU, has a vibrant and growing program in MR imaging.  In addition to the research 3T MRI, the BNI has 7 diagnostic MRI scanners as well as the first 3T intra-op MRI installed in a hospital.  The BNI also houses a preclinical imaging facility with a 7T Bruker Biospec MR scanner, which is run jointly with ASU.

Application Information:

Interested candidates should send their CV to Jim Pipe at [log in to unmask].