Just to check... is EVERYTHING else in your scans the same?    I.e.
TR, TE, voxel size, and head coil?

Again I think we discussed this recently in the group listserve... but
basically if there are any systematic differences between group 1 and
group 2 in terms of acquisition parameters,  it's really impossible to
draw any firm conclusions between differences in the group, unless you
also model the effect of scanner.     Adding 5-10 subjects that are
scanned with both a 16 and 32 gradient protocol is one possibility.
Or you should add some more controls with the 32 gradient protocol  so
you can account for the effects of scan parameters  in your model.

I've really wanted to do the same thing in the past where we take old
"control" subjects  or old patient populations scanned with sequence X
at time X and compare them to time Y with sequence Y to do some
exploratory analysis.... but since there are so many known (and
unknown things) that seem to effect the exact FA value I have never
felt comfortable doing it for the reasons discussed above.

--
David A Gutman, M.D. Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Informatics