hello all,
apropos of nothing in particular, I have just (finished one minute ago) watched a film that i think is one of the greatest examples of the film art that I have ever experienced, it is, I suspect, what you might call the total work of art. If 'Citizen Kane' is a total work of art in terms of hyperbole then 'A Separation' this is the film I am talking about, is the perfect film of the domestic, the detail, the miniature to Welles' grand canvas. I have rarely been so moved and at the same time so enlightened by a film as I was this evening. If we are giving out Oscars, then all the principal ones should go to this work of consummate elegance; the acting, the direction, the editing , the cinematography. This is the kind of cinema that we should all (theorists, practitioners, critics) should aspire to.
It matters little that this film tells truths that most art only aspires to because unfortunately the cinema itself no longer matters in the case of truth, we are too interested in money and spectacle, mores the pity, consequently this film will be considered of minority interest when in fact it is a film that addresses itself to the majority, to those of us who live lives of "quiet desperation" and who seek in art that aspect of reality that catches a glimpse of the profound quotidian.
If you haven't already, then I implore you to watch this great film.
peace
alan

--
"La Beaute Sera Convulsive Ou Ne Sera Pas"

-- Film-Philosophy After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the list -- Film-Philosophy Journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com/ Film-Philosophy Conference: http://www.film-philosophy.com/conference/ Contact: [log in to unmask] --