I like Godard's phrase, taken from some old interview, that he makes films
so that philosophers 'like Monsieur Foucault' must assert more slowly. Film
brings friction to theory. I do believe it does and that it does at least
partly due to its still mechanical, bazinic, relation to reality. In how
much the tension between the fields of film and theory reflects the age old
tension between philosophy and literature, in how much it might be the
same, I'd rather not venture, but think that in terms of precisely this
sort of friction, friction against any sort of idealism in a very broad
sense, any other artistic/narrative medium/method, whether theatre or
literary fiction, could be seen as merely a precursor to cinema or the
semi-automatically produced moving image.

Even at his most maoist, Godard never managed to make an un-ironic film
about political radicalism. Once brought into the life of actual
characters, represented through particular bodies, there was always, as it
seems by necessity, a strong element of comedy, satire, involved. Nevermind
Godard's own exclaimed intentions.

H.

--
Film-Philosophy Journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com/