Hi Anoop – my PKU example was to illustrate the premise that most (all?) diseases are 100% genetically determined and 100% environmentally determined, rather than it being the best analogy for the gene/environment interaction for fatness. Nevertheless I guess if there was no food around at all – in the pre-garbage can era – then even these extreme leptin deficient cases wouldn't get fat. Also I assume most people with genetic predispositions to fatness have a much weaker hunger signal that in prader-will syndrome (albeit stronger than people without these genes) so I wonder if in fact most fatness genes are indeed sitting silently waiting for the right environment to manifest.

Regards Rod

From: Anoop Balachandran <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 17:19:00 +1300
To: Rod Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: The Fat Trap

H Rod,

Thanks for the reply. And you make some very good points.

One question I had is about the comparison of Phenylktone Urea and obesity. We know that PKU, kids are not 'hungry' for phenylalanine. In obesity, the driving force is hunger. They can't help but eat. We know from the leptin deficiency cases studies that the first thing that happens with leptin injections is a tremendous drop in hunger. They lose weight by not eating food because they are not hungry. Another example is the prader-willi syndrome where they eat even from garbage cans. The same happens with bariatric surgery.  So I am not sure if obesity genes are sitting silently for the right environment to manifest.

So is PKU or other diseases and obesity is a fair comparison?

Here are 2 interviews with Katherine Flegal: http://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/getArticle.cfm?id=2599

http://www.sciencewatch.com/ana/st/obesity2/10sepObes2Fleg/

The interview had a question regarding Friedman's assertion of only a modest weight gain causing the obesity epidemic. And this is what she had to say:

One of my projects is to write a paper about that. I have all the graphs. There are two effects at work. One, of course, is that if you have a normal distribution and you shift the distribution to the right by a fixed amount, the median is going to increase and the prevalence of obesity is going to increase.

But what you can see in the data is that both the median is moving and the distribution is becoming more skewed. The tails are longer and longer. It's not just a shift of the distribution. It's a shift and a change in the shape of the distribution. The median has gone up by a certain amount and the prevalence of obesity has gone up more than you'd expect from the change in the median.

Thanks

Anoop Balachandran