At least for some tests this MIGHT not be so hard...

For example

1) our state dept of health circulates weekly prevalence date for influenza, based on selected testing, which are then used to give estimates of PPV and NPV for rapid influenza testing

2) for cardiac stress testing, the work of Diamond, et al (J Am Coll
Cardiol1983;1:574–575. ) gives pretest estimates of CAD based on chest pain characteristics.
The big assumption, as always is that one's patient somehow resembles the derivation population.

While it would not be all-inclusive, if someone (with the time to do it!) were to at least put together in one place the PPV/NPVs of certain COMMON tests.

Second thought - I like the idea of references to back up the 10 commandments - would make them even better as a teaching tool!

BC

Bill Cayley, Jr, MD MDiv

Work:
Augusta Family Medicine
207 W Lincoln, Augusta, WI 54722
Tel: 715.286.2270
Pager: 715.838.7940

Home:
3604 Sharon Drive, Eau Claire, WI 54701
Tel: 715.830.0932
Mobile: 715.828.4636
Mälkam gäna! (Happy Ethiopian Christmas!)
http://www.ehow.com/how_10775_celebrate-ethiopian-christmas.html