Hello,

I would just add my two cents worth, perhaps obvious but not previously mentioned: in undertaking a systematic review, the range and selection of databases used depends on the subject.  For example, if your topic is purely clinical, you will not find many additional citations beyond the core clinical databases (MEDLINE/PubMed, EMBASE, CINAHL), noting that you will almost always find a few additional in interdisciplinary databases such as Scopus and ISI Web of Science and in trials registries.  If your topic will be covered in the grey (e.g., with a global health aspect) or complementary and alternative literature, databases covering those segments of the literature (IGOSearch, NGOSearch, AMED) should be included.  ISI Web of Science, Scopus and Google Scholar are particularly useful in searching interdisciplinary topics because of the range of disciplines they include in their coverage (although what Google Scholar includes is not public knowledge).  Attempts are being made to systematize the selection of databases and determine a point at which to stop adding databases, for example:
Booth A. How much searching is enough? Comprehensive versus optimal retrieval for technology assessments. Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2010 Oct;26(4):431-5. Epub 2010 Oct 6. Review. PubMed PMID: 20923586.
Kastner M, Straus SE, McKibbon KA, Goldsmith CH. The capture-mark-recapture technique can be used as a stopping rule when searching in systematic reviews. J Clin Epidemiol. 2009 Feb;62(2):149-57. Epub 2008 Aug 22. PubMed PMID: 18722088.

In the search for Ahmed’s systematic review (thank you, Ahmed, for sharing it), the range of databases used and the variations of the strategies between databases are impressive.  The involvement of a professional librarian is apparent, and is commendable (from my biased viewpoint; should there be a professional librarian as co-author on all systematic reviews?).  In general, searching ISI Web of Science and Scopus requires use of exhaustive lists of free text synonyms for title and abstract searching, although, in this case, full advantage has been made of the limited database features (that is, Scopus and ISI Web of Science use little controlled vocabulary to index and structure the database).

Jim

Jim Henderson

Librarian, McGill University (Retired)

3546 Marlowe Avenue