Dear Kev and all,

Thank you for all the great papers on bias and effect size. At first my
linear thinking did not understand the concept reasoning that if the effect
size was artificially inflated and was as a result not apparent when good
methods were practiced then it was not an effect size.

I was particularly impressed with the acupuncture example in which I agree
with the authors of this paper, the claims were a major extrapolation and
the lack of bias controls distorted outcomes. I like the idea of the
sensitivity analysis which lays out clearly where conclusions came from and
why.

I do have a couple of questions:

What is to be done if there are no real studies on the population group the
research question is assessing. For example I am looking at computer based
cognitive not psychosocial brain training in substance abuse. There are
studies for other populations but not this one. What are the implications in
terms of validity for using another population?

Secondly in the sensitivity analysis where does expert vs non expert
practitioner fit. For instance in many mental health or even acupuncture
interventions practitioner skill matters. But if we use something more
objective such as artificial disk implantation  in surgery for example
success rates  may be correlated with number of surgeries performed. How
could this be controlled for in the area of negative bias if one is looking
at existing trials without consideration of operator expertise?

Third is it acceptable to state acupuncture as an effective primary
intervention for stroke rehabilitation was not found to be useful however
studies did show that as a method of short term pain control or as an
adjunct to increasing circulation this may be a viable research question to
explore in terms of intervention?

Thanks for your views on this, your input has really helped me to adjust the
way I see research.

Best Regards,

Amy