What is the German word you are thinking of?  I'm a reasonably
competent speaker of German and can't think of anything which would
fit the context.

	I.

	Von: Jeremy Harte <[log in to unmask]>

	An: [log in to unmask]

	Betreff: Re: [EPNL] nick & puck

	Datum: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:34:13 +0100

	Dear Keith, Dear All,

	Compounds of pūca with stān are rare – perhaps unknown? They seem
to have preferred pits, wells, dells, and corners from which they
could jump out at people. And there are problems in deriving Nicheston
from any sort of goblin name, since OE nicor was still something like
nicre in 1200, if I remember my La3amon, and nick has the look of
being a late loanword from German.

	There is a dialect word ‘nicko’ (or something like it) for
woodpecker which I’ve seen cited for forms that otherwise looked
like nicor. But hardly in 1200, and anyway ‘woodpecker stone’
doesn’t make much sense.

	Jeremy Harte