On 01/30/2012 02:59 PM, Alan Buxey wrote:
> hi,
>
> just wondering what the general feedback would be if we mandated that
> all sites in JANET roaming service (eduroam UK) had to have an alias
> of jrs-support@<realm>  as a guaranteed contact point - much like
> the RFCs have for postmaster, cachemaster etc ?
>
> quite a few sites in the system already have such an alias - which
> we've found makes it much much easier to contact those sites rather
> than having to look up details in CRM.
>
> as i said...just wondering...(though I guess the correct alias might
> really be 'eduroam@<realm>' to fit the whole world....

It's not unreasonable, but I'd be cautious about mandating, as opposed
to strongly recommending.

For example: the site may already use "jrs-support" as an alias for
their users to contact them, aliased to the helpdesk. In that case, it
may be an inappropriate alias for site-to-site support.

Or they might use a mailing list, and internal policy might require that
they end in -list.

I'm sure other (equally contrived ;o) examples exist.