Er gibt mir kein Freud und keinerstens Fried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s-j7YyQuiM

Larry

From: The Disability-Research Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul Swann
Sent: 18 January 2012 15:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Lord Freud draws a new battle line

I’ve posted a blog article re: the Welfare Reform Bill and the Social Model titled “Lord Freud draws a new battle line” http://disabilitywales.tumblr.com/

Comments welcome.

Paul

Paul Swann

Policy Officer (Independent Living)

Disability Wales / Anabledd Cymru

t: 02920 887325

f: 02920 888702

e: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

w: disabilitywales.org

Personal twitter account: @PaulSwannIL

email logo.jpg

About us    Events    Membership    News    DW Facebook    DW Twitter

Disability Wales/Anabledd Cymru is a Registered Charity, No. 517391

and a Company Limited by Guarantee, No. 1998621

You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ------=_NextPart_000_001F_01CCD701.6609A8F0-- ========================================================================Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 15:27:55 +1100 Reply-To: Piers Gooding <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Piers Gooding <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Resources needed for 'Mad at School' - critical consumer/ survivor studies in the tertiary sector In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_1c05cc87-0ef0-4e81-8ba3-445d8ab0e1a7_" MIME-Version: 1.0 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --_1c05cc87-0ef0-4e81-8ba3-445d8ab0e1a7_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi All, I'm new to the list. My name is Piers Gooding and I'm a PhD candidate from Monash University, Melbourne, Australia. I'd like to ride the slipstream of the issue Tina raised and make a request. Myself and my colleagues/ allies/ friends, Merinda Epstein, Cath Roper, and Flick Grey, are working on an article about 'critical user/ survivor studies' in the university, and the need to create a space in universities for the first-person perspective, sometimes called 'native theorists', on experiences of profound distress, madness, what-gets-labelled-as-mental-illness, and what is perhaps best known on this list as psychosocial disabilities. The article is largely drawn from a lecture given at the Melbourne Free University, called, 'Madness in the Academy', which spoke to many of the issues that Tina referred to in reference to Margaret Price's work. The lecture can be found archived here, http://melbournefreeuniversity.org/?page_id=632 We are looking for materials in the formal (academic) and informal (blog, organisational, activist) literature that speak to this issue, or examples of where this is beginning in uni's and technical colleges. We are primarily interested in the rising momentum toward creating a space for 'madness in the academy' that addresses not only the collective knowledge of first-person perspectives, but that also adresses reasonable accommodation and inclusive design in universities and other places of tertiary learning - ways that address structural discrimination which so often lead to people with psychosocial disabilities being excluded. Any materials you may have on this topic would be much appreciated. In support, Piers > Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:27:01 -0500 > From: [log in to unmask] > Subject: blog post on Rhetorical Disability and Legal Capacity > To: [log in to unmask] > > Hi all- > > Here is a blog post inspired by my reading of Mad at School: Rhetorics > of Mental Disability in Academic Life by Margaret Price. > > http://lawasculturalwork.blogspot.com/2012/01/rhetorical-disability-and-legal.html > > (If Margaret Price is on this list, please receive my thanks and know > that I'd like to be in touch with you, am intending to reach out when > I have finished the book.) > > In solidarity, > > > Tina Minkowitz, Esq. > Center for the Human Rights of Users and Survivors of Psychiatry > 44 Palmer Pond Rd. > Chestertown, NY 12817 USA > +1-518-494-0174 > [log in to unmask] > www.chrusp.org > > ________________End of message________________ > > This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). > > Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] > > Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html > > You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. --_1c05cc87-0ef0-4e81-8ba3-445d8ab0e1a7_ Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. --_1c05cc87-0ef0-4e81-8ba3-445d8ab0e1a7_-- ========================================================================Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 09:06:35 +0000 Reply-To: Colin Barnes <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Colin Barnes <[log in to unmask]> Subject: FW: EPC January 2012 Newsletter + Update In-Reply-To: <013d01ccd6f1$91f22650$4b00a8c0@alex4sd6w1ko36> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> fyi colin ________________________________ From: Alex Schadenberg [[log in to unmask]] Sent: 19 January 2012 21:30 To: Euthanasia Prevention Coalition Subject: EPC January 2012 Newsletter + Update [cid:013301ccd6f1$89894980$4b00a8c0@alex4sd6w1ko36] Dear Friends: The January 2012 Newsletter - Newsletter #125 is downloaded here. The petition campaign against euthanasia and assisted suicide in Canada was succesful. We received more than 32,000 names that will be sent to the Attorney General of Canada (AG). The online petition can still be signed online. The Carter case , which is attempting to legalize euthanasia and assisted suicide in Canada was heard by Justice Smith in Vancouver. EPC intervened in the Carter case. EPC made our intervention on December 14. We are waiting for the decision. We have only raised $25,000 of the $53,000 cost in the Carter case. Thank you to everyone who have generously donated. Please consider donating towards the cost of intervening in the Carter case. Preliminary hearings in the Leblanc case, which is attempting to strike down the assisted suicide law in Canada, will begin on January 27, 2012. EPC is seeking to intervene in the case with Vivre dans la Dignité. The cost to intervene in a court case is prohibitive. EPC needs you financial support to make this possible. Since we are seeking to intervene in the Leblanc case in Quebec, if you have not asked people to sign the petition to the AG or signed the online petition, you can still do so and we will add it to the current petitions. We are asking you to send hand-written letters to the (AG) and your Member of Parliament. Link to the strategy. The Supreme Court of Canada has decided to hear the Rasouli case. The Rasouli case is seeking to give doctors the right to unilaterally withdraw life-sustainting treatment from patients without consent. EPC successfully intervened in the Rasouli case at the Ontario Court of Appeal who unanimously decided that doctors are required to obtain consent before withdrawing life-sustaining treatment. We have been informed that the Supreme Court of Canada will hear the Rasouli case in May 2012. The Netherlands lower house is debating approving euthanasia for any and no reason based on a person who is "tired of living." At the same time Wesley Smith reported that Dutch Psychiatrists are now officially euthanizing patients. We need to stop euthanasia and/or assisted suicide from becoming legal. A case of medical discrimination has erupted against a young girl with a significant disability. Amelia, has been denied a Kidney Transplant due to the fact that she has a significant disability. Read the story. The Attorney General in Hawaii has confirmed that Assisted Suicide is not legal in Hawaii. A conference on Assisted Suicide is planned in Great Falls Montana on January 28, 2012. The seminar features Dr. Charles Bentz (Oregon), Montana Senators Greg Hinkle and Jim Shockley and Bradley Williams and Margaret Dore. EPC is distributing the report of the Parliamentary Committee on Palliative and Compassionate Care and the book Keep Breathing. If you want to receive one of these items please indicate it with your donation. EPC is selling the DVD sets of the Third International Symposium on Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide for $50 for one or $80 for two sets. You must indicate that you are purchasing the Symposium DVD's when you send money. EPC is intervening in these court cases in order to protect you from euthanasia and assisted suicide. EPC intervened in two cases in 2011 and we will make in at least three court interventions in 2012. We require your support for us to be successful. Link to donate or become a member. A good way to help EPC pay for these court interventions without costing you anything is by contacting Real Estate for Life when you are deciding to sell your home. The service is free and EPC will receive money from the sale of your home. * Become a friend of EPC on facebook. If you do not wish to receive emails from EPC please ask to unsubscribe. We will be disappointed but willing to do so. Thank you for your support [cid:013401ccd6f1$89894980$4b00a8c0@alex4sd6w1ko36] Alex Schadenberg, Executive Director [cid:013501ccd6f1$89894980$4b00a8c0@alex4sd6w1ko36] ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ========================================================================Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:24:10 +0000 Reply-To: "Wertlieb, Donald" <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: "Wertlieb, Donald" <[log in to unmask]> Subject: FW: Korman Chair in Inclusive Jewish Education MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_000_63F61F9C577F2A4EB5804F21439CC9E608710BFASSVMEXDAG01MB04_" Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --_000_63F61F9C577F2A4EB5804F21439CC9E608710BFASSVMEXDAG01MB04_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable From: Wertlieb, Donald [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 9:17 AM To: [log in to unmask] Cc: Wertlieb, Donald Subject: Korman Chair in Inclusive Jewish Education Dear Colleagues, We have just launched an international search for the Korman Chair in Inclusive Jewish Education and I appreciate any assistance you might provide in alerting potential candidates to this opportunity. Position details are attached as well as pasted below, and it would be a great service to us if you would forward these details to appropriate candidates, colleagues, organizations, and list-serves. Many thanks for your consideration. Donald Wertlieb, Ph.D. Korman Visiting Distinguished Professor Director, Hebrew College Inclusive Education Roundtable (HIER) Shoolman Graduate School of Jewish Education 160 Herrick Road Newton, MA 02459 USA [log in to unmask] 781-237-6550 ext 32 Hebrew College invites applications for the Korman Chair in Inclusive Jewish Education. This endowed professor provides academic and entrepreneurial leadership, vision, and scholarship for our Center for Inclusive Jewish Education and serves as a core faculty member of our Shoolman Graduate School of Jewish Education. The Korman Chair will teach and mentor graduate students, build and sustain partnerships with academic and community-based organizations dedicated to enhancing the quality of Jewish education for diverse learners including children with special needs, and innovate professional development systems and services. The ideal candidate will have these qualifications: * PhD, EdD, or equivalent degree * Demonstrated academic leadership skills * Excellence in teaching at the graduate level, including experience with on-line and distance learning technologies * Experience in research, service, and/or advocacy for children with special needs and inclusive education * Experience with formal or informal education of children with disabilities in the Jewish community Specific areas of expertise may vary but could include: * Jewish education * Interdisciplinary teamwork for assessment and intervention * Family engagement and parent support * Differentiated curriculum & instruction * Early childhood education * New technologies and social media platforms for learning and inclusion * Positive youth development * Community partnerships for education excellence and affordability Hebrew College is a vibrant, growing, and transforming institution of Jewish learning located in the Boston area. It embraces a pluralistic community passionately committed to learning, creativity, and communal responsibility. In addition to the Shoolman Graduate School of Jewish Education, the College includes the Rabbinical School and School of Jewish Music, all aspiring toward greater inclusivity. Faculty, students and programs represent a global network of learners. For additional information visit www.hebrewcollege.edu . Interested candidates should forward a CV and letter including a statement on teaching and leadership philosophies as well as what you find compelling about teaching at Hebrew College to: Rabbi Dr Michael Shire [log in to unmask] Dean and Professor of Jewish Education 160 Herrick Road Newton, MA 02459 USA Applications will be reviewed beginning January 30 and continue until the position is filled. Hebrew College is an equal-opportunity employer. ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. --_000_63F61F9C577F2A4EB5804F21439CC9E608710BFASSVMEXDAG01MB04_ Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. --_000_63F61F9C577F2A4EB5804F21439CC9E608710BFASSVMEXDAG01MB04_-- ========================================================================Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 15:15:11 +0000 Reply-To: "Angharad Beckett (Centre for Disability Studies, University of Leeds)" <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: "Angharad Beckett (Centre for Disability Studies, University of Leeds)" <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Inclusive Education Conference Announcement Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> **INCLUSIVE EDUCATION CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT** (apologies for any cross-posting). The Future of Inclusive Education: Future Bright or Future in Crisis? The Centre for Disability Studies, University of Leeds invites you to attend a one-day conference to debate the future of Inclusive Education in the UK. DATE & TIME: Monday 2nd April, registration 9.30 -10.00am, close of conference 4.30pm. VENUE: Weetwood Hall Hotel & Conference Centre, University of Leeds, Otley Rd, Leeds, LS16 5PS. REGISTRATION FEE: £50 to waged; and free for unwaged delegates. In 2011 the new Government in the UK announced its desire to ‘remove the bias towards inclusion’. This has sparked fears for the future of inclusive education in the UK. Here at the Centre for Disability Studies, University of Leeds, we believe that now is the time to bring together all those who are committed to the ideal of inclusive education, to take stock of progress to date here in the UK, celebrate the successes, highlight the challenges/barriers, share our fears for the future and unite in our hopes and aspirations. It is time for a new Manifesto for Inclusive Education! And we need to write this together! Guest speakers will include young disabled people and their parents, Tara Flood (Director of the Alliance for Inclusive Education), Micheline Mason (writer, poet and leading activist in the field) and Prof. Len Barton (Emeritus Professor of Inclusive Education, University of London and leading academic in the field). There will be a short performance from Musical ARC, a group that runs workshops for schools with the aim of breaking down barriers and challenging perceptions about disability, whilst creating music. Delegates will be invited to take part in workshop activities during the afternoon, to share their views/thoughts about inclusive education. If you would like to attend this event then please contact Marie Johnson ([log in to unmask] or tel: 0113 343 4407) to book your place. Please note: the venue is fully accessible. Please book early to ensure a place – these will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ========================================================================Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 13:29:04 -0800 Reply-To: J Ferris <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: J Ferris <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Faculty position in Disability Studies -- still accepting applications MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="-1569264851-1373420024-1327094944=:70268" Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> ---1569264851-1373420024-1327094944=:70268 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii FACULTY HIRE in Disability Studies applications still being accepted -- review of applications to begin February 1 The University of Toledo is still accepting applications for a tenured or tenure-track faculty position in disability studies which will commence Fall 2012. Details may be found at . Questions may be addressed to Dr. Jim Ferris, Ability Center Endowed Chair in Disability Studies, at <[log in to unmask]>. ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ---1569264851-1373420024-1327094944=:70268 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

The University of Toledo is still accepting applications for a tenured or tenure-track faculty position in disability studies which will commence Fall 2012. Details may be found at <https://jobs.utoledo.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/position/JobDetails_css.jsp?postingId9392>.

You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ---1569264851-1373420024-1327094944=:70268-- ========================================================================Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 16:01:14 -0800 Reply-To: Shauna Downing <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Shauna Downing <[log in to unmask]> Comments: To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask] MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> http://a9z.org/PersonalMega/full-text-rss/cache/linkis.php ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ========================================================================Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 08:49:22 +0000 Reply-To: Colin Barnes <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Colin Barnes <[log in to unmask]> Subject: FW: VOTE NO to euthanasia - online poll In-Reply-To: <008201ccd965$89cd28f0$4b00a8c0@alex4sd6w1ko36> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MIME-Version: 1.0 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> FYI Colin ________________________________ From: Alex Schadenberg [[log in to unmask]] Sent: 23 January 2012 00:25 To: Euthanasia Prevention Coalition Subject: VOTE NO to euthanasia - online poll An online poll on Adelaide Now (Australia) asks the question: Should Euthanasia be legalized? VOTE NO Link to poll and scroll down. The poll is on the left-side of the screen. http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/dr-philip-nitschke-under-investigation-over-death-of-woman/story-e6frea6u-1226250785808 The poll is connected to an article concerning an investigation into Philip Nitschke, Australia's Dr. Death, who is believed to have provided Nembutal, a drug used for large animal euthanasia, in the death of a South Australian woman. Nitschke is the same guy who operates a suicide counseling website and he offers suicide technique information for a $75 fee. Link another article about Nitchke. Last week two members of the South Australian legislature stated that they will re-introduce bills to legalize euthanasia. Alex Schadenberg Euthanasia Prevention Coalition ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ========================================================================Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:39:41 +0100 Reply-To: "Dr. Andrew Azzopardi" <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: "Dr. Andrew Azzopardi" <[log in to unmask]> Subject: NEW BLOG POSTS: www.andrewazzopardi.org/ MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0106_01CCDAAE.C4EDB860" Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> This is a multipart message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0106_01CCDAAE.C4EDB860 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit 6 DAYS LEFT TO SUBSCRIBE AND YOU WILL ENTER THE CHANCE TO WIN A EURO 25 VOUCHER FROM SCAN COMPUTERS THIS JANUARY With the success this Blog keeps registering, I thought it was only fair to give something back to YOU as a token of appreciation. In fact during the forthcoming year the SUBSCRIBERS to this Blog will be eligible to win a 25 Euro voucher from SCAN computers or a book voucher from Mireva Bookshop. A SUBSCRIBER will be chosen by lot and announced on this Blog every end of the month. IF I WERE YOU I WOULDN'T WASTE ANYMORE TIME AND SUBSCRIBE IMMEDIATELY!! NEW BLOG POSTS: Dr Franco Debono 'traditur'? http://andrewazzopardi.org/2012/01/24/dr-franco-debono-mp-traditur/ Bertu..inspired by 'Ghandi x' Nghid'! :) http://andrewazzopardi.org/2012/01/23/bertu-inspired-by-ghandi-x-nghid/ VOTE OF NO-CONFIDENCE | 4 days to go http://andrewazzopardi.org/2012/01/23/vote-of-no-confidence-4-days-to-go/ Current political crises http://andrewazzopardi.org/2012/01/18/current-political-crises/ Naqbel jew ma naqbilx ma' Peppi dwar Pietru? http://andrewazzopardi.org/2011/12/13/naqbel-jew-ma-naqbilx-ma-peppi-dwar-pi etru/ US Army Club Sheep to Death (to everyone's amusement)! http://andrewazzopardi.org/2011/12/15/us-army-club-sheep-to-death-to-everyon es-amusement/ The brave women of the Middle East: Female protesters brutally beaten.. | WATCH VIDEO http://andrewazzopardi.org/2011/12/18/the-brave-women-of-the-middle-east-fem ale-protesters-brutally-beaten-watch-video/ ____________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________ SUBSCRIBE: www.andrewazzopardi.org/ SUBSCRIBE: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Andrew-Azzopardi/151704741513704/ You can choose to unsubscribe by replying to this mail ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ------=_NextPart_000_0106_01CCDAAE.C4EDB860 Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ------=_NextPart_000_0106_01CCDAAE.C4EDB860-- ========================================================================Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:05:18 -0600 Reply-To: Joy Hammel <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Joy Hammel <[log in to unmask]> Subject: post doctoral opportunity in community based participatory research with people with disabilities Comments: To: [log in to unmask] MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0064_01CCDA88.0F3E99B0" Message-ID: <006301ccdaba$59d909b0$0d8b1d10$@edu> This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0064_01CCDA88.0F3E99B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Post Doctoral Trainee Opportunities in Translational and Transformational Research to Improve Home, Community & Work Participation Access and Opportunities with People with Disabilities The Department of Occupational Therapy and the Joint Doctoral Programs in Disability Studies and in Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago is inviting applications from qualified candidates in any relevant discipline for postdoctoral research training experiences in community-based participatory research (CBPR) to improve community living, participation and work opportunities with people with disabilities, including the development and evaluation of innovative demonstration projects done collaboratively with people with disabilities, communities and policymakers. This interdisciplinary post-doctoral program emphasizes preparing scholars to conduct research that has real world impact and translates to disability communities, systems and policies. The training program includes: a) didactic preparation, b) close mentoring by highly qualified researchers and stakeholder community members, c) immersion in ongoing research and demonstration projects, and d) field placement in carefully selected programs or organizations where participation of people with disabilities is targeted. Trainees undergo a structured and closely-supervised training process with a range of opportunities for didactic and experiential training, on campus and within the community, and with common expected milestones. Each trainee's program will be individually designed to assure that the trainee has access to the most rigorous and relevant concepts and research methodologies for his/her chosen focus for studying participation disparities, services, policies and outcomes. Applicants must have received their Ph.D. or M.D. degrees within the past four years. The length of the fellowship experience will vary. Ordinarily, it will be for one to two years. Trainees receive a competitive salary and full benefits, tuition support for any courses taken and a modest travel budget. Applicants should submit a curriculum vita and three reference contacts. Copies of relevant publications and a brief statement of research experience and research goals must be provided for full consideration. The appointments can begin any time. Submit documentation to: Joy Hammel, PhD, OTR Professor Department of Occupational Therapy (MC 811) The University of Illinois at Chicago 1919 West Taylor Street, Rm 311 Chicago IL 60612 [log in to unmask] 312-996-3513 ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ------=_NextPart_000_0064_01CCDA88.0F3E99B0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

[...]

                                                   312-996-3513

You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ------=_NextPart_000_0064_01CCDA88.0F3E99B0-- ========================================================================Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 20:08:32 -0300 Reply-To: LILITH Finkler <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: LILITH Finkler <[log in to unmask]> Subject: social assistance reassessment impacts?? Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_07f3d640-6fcb-422e-abcc-cb3a33f26ef0_" MIME-Version: 1.0 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --_07f3d640-6fcb-422e-abcc-cb3a33f26ef0_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dear Colleagues; Has anyone suggestions with regard to literature, scholarly or otherwise, that discusses the impact of "reassessment" "recertification" etc of disabled persons in receipt of social assistance. I am aware that various governments are changing definitions of "disability" in an effort to reduce the number of disabled recipients. I am interested here in any form of disability related financial assistance whether it is unemployment insurance, veterans pensions, workers compensation or any government funds offered to disabled persons. Thanks so much, Lilith ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. --_07f3d640-6fcb-422e-abcc-cb3a33f26ef0_ Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. --_07f3d640-6fcb-422e-abcc-cb3a33f26ef0_-- ========================================================================Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:40:12 -0500 Reply-To: Mimi Getachew <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Mimi Getachew <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Race, Ethnicity and Disabilities: State of the Science Conference Comments: To: "Wappett, Matthew" <[log in to unmask]> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundaryô6d043be256774a9004b75dc19e Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --f46d043be256774a9004b75dc19e Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable *Could you please post this to interested people, thank you so much. * * * *Call for Abstracts Deadline EXTENDED -- January 15th* CALL FOR ABSTRACT SUBMISSION Race, Ethnicity, and Disabilities: State of the Science Conference Abstract Deadline Extended: January 15th, 2012 (still accepting abstracts) Date of Conference: March 1-2, 2012 in Arlington, Virginia Virginia Commonwealth University will be hosting the *Race, Ethnicity and Disabilities: State of the Science Conference* in Arlington, Virginia. This conference is a great opportunity for professionals in the fields of rehabilitation, physical therapy, disability research, psychology, or any related field. In addition to our numerous presentations by internationally recognized invited speakers, we will be having a poster session the evening of March 1st. Please visit our website (www.vcu-projectempowerment.org) for more information about the conference and its poster session in the left side box. Note that you may find the forms for submitting an abstract and for registering to attend the full conference in our brochure, which can be downloaded from the website. Below you will find information regarding the guidelines for submitting an abstract for the poster session. Please also encourage colleagues and students to submit. Thank you, Juan Carlos Arango ****************************************************************************************************************************************************************** Race, Ethnicity, and Disabilities: State of the Science Conference Format and Submission Guidelines for Poster Session To facilitate the review process, author(s) are requested to submit abstracts for their posters in a structured format. There are two different formats for research articles and review articles. Abstracts that are longer than 300 words will be returned and asked to be revised. *Structured Abstract * *The structured abstracts must have the following sections:* -Title -Title -Author(s) -Author(s) -Objective(s) -Objective(s) -Research Design -Data Sources -Setting -Methods -Main Outcome Measures -Results/Outcomes -Results/Outcomes -Conclusions -Conclusions -Key Words -Key Words * When preparing an abstract, authors are requested to abide by the following guidelines:* · Abstracts must not exceed 300 words. · Author should provide no more than three key words based on the National Library of Medicine’s Permuted Medical Subject Headings available at: www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/Mbrowser.html. · Do not include background or context sections in abstract. · Only submit abstracts of completed work. Works in progress will not be accepted. · By submitting an abstract, you are making commitment to present you poster if accepted. · Abstracts received after the deadline will not be accepted. · Authors must spell in full on first introduction before any acronyms are used. · Authors are invited to submit more than one poster, but must submit separately. *Additional instructions, if poster is accepted:* · The size of the poster is to be a maximum of 4’ x 4’. · Use a font size that is readable from a distance of approximately 5’. · Please try to bring 50-100 handouts for colleagues visiting your poster. · Authors are responsible for mounting and removing poster at the appropriate time and space that will be indicated later. They are also responsible for bringing their own pushpins to mount the posters. · Authors will be given a specific time by which they will have to remain by their poster and present to colleagues. Click on this link to unsubscribe from this list UNSUBSCRIBE An email will automatically open with "Unsubscribe" in the subject area. Just Send the message, as is, to unsubscribe from this list.. - Virginia Commonwealth University | vcu-projectempowerment.org - National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (#H133A080060) - 730 East Broad Street, Room 3070 | PO Box 980330 | Richmond, Virginia 23298 - Phone: (804) 827-0914 | TTY: (804) 828-1120 <%28804%29%20828-1120> | Fax: (804) 828-1321 - Contact us | About Project Empowerment · REGISTRATION DEADLINE · Register today so that you do not miss this opportunity to be part of the 2012 Race, Ethnicity, and Disabilities: State of the Science Conference. Registration for this innovative and exciting conference is open until February 15. · · *Don’t miss this important information:* *Conference Information:* · *Location:* Arlington, Virginia (Crystal Gateway Marriott) · *Date:* March 1st-2nd, 2012 · *CRCs offered:* 13 · *CEUs offered:* 1.3 *Registration Information:* · *Deadline:* February 15th, 2012 · *Fee:* $125.00 for professionals; $75.00 for students; free to federal employees. · *Website:* http://www.vcu-projectempowerment.org/registration/conference/index.cfm *Hotel Information:* · *Name:* Crystal Gateway Marriott · *Deadline: *February 15th, 2012 · *Conference Price:* $183.00/night · *To Book:* Call (703) 920-3230 <%28703%29%20920-3230> and ask for the group rate for "Project Empowerment." Thank you, Juan Carlos Arango* * On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Wappett, Matthew <[log in to unmask]>wrote: > Call for Abstracts: Disability Studies: Critical Issues and Future > Developments > > Edited by Matthew Wappett and Katrina Arndt > > We are co-editing a collection of essays for a book that provides an > overview of the history and sociocultural context for the development of > Disability Studies as a relevant and accepted field of scholarly inquiry, > and then presents key essays that explore developing/current issues within > the field of Disability Studies. Our intent is to provide a retrospective > and prospective look at the field of Disability Studies and provide space > for the exploration of future directions in Disability Studies scholarship. > We anticipate that this text will be useful in introductory disability > studies courses and specialized sociology, psychology, education, history, > English, and other related social science and humanities disciplines that > intersect with disability studies and issues of corporeal/embodied identity > studies. > > The book will be arranged thematically with short retrospective essays by > leading scholars in Disability Studies; these retrospective essays will be > paired with new, forward-thinking work by emerging authors and scholars in > Disability Studies and related fields. We are interested in a wide > representation of authors including global perspectives and from other > fields of study that intersect with Disability Studies. > > We currently are looking for essays that examine issues in the following > areas: > > • Feminist perspectives on disability > • The geography of disability > • The intersection of disability, race, and poverty > • Embodiment and disability > • Historical and political discourses that inform contemporary > disability theory > > The timeline for completion of this project in 2012 is as follows: > > • Abstract submissions – January 27 > • Responses to all inquires – February 10 > • First drafts due – April 30 > • Feedback to authors – May 31 > • Final draft due – July 31 > > If you are interested in contributing please contact us via email at > [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask] (please include both of us in your > reply). Include an abstract of no more than 500 words describing your > essay and how it addresses one of the themes of this text. > > ________________End of message________________ > > This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for > Disability Studies at the University of Leeds ( > www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). > > Enquiries about list administration should be sent to > [log in to unmask] > > Archives and tools are located at: > www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html > > You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. > -- Mimi Almaz Getachew, Ph.D Postdoctoral Fellow Rehabilitation Psychology and Neuropsychology Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center 730 East Broad Street PO Box 843038 Richmond, VA 23219 P: (804)827-2563 email: [log in to unmask] ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. --f46d043be256774a9004b75dc19e Content-Type: text/html; charset=windows-1252 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Could you please post this to interested people, thank you so much.

Call for Abstracts Deadline EXTENDED -- January 15th

CALL FOR ABSTRACT SUBMISSION

Race, Ethnicity, and Disabilities: State of the Science Conference
Abstract Deadline Extended:
January 15th, 2012

(still accepting abstracts)

Date of Conference: March 1-2, 2012 in Arlington, Virginia

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************
[...]

·

·
Don’t miss this important information:

Conference Information:
· Location: Arlington, Virginia (Crystal Gateway Marriott)
· Fee: $125.00 for professionals; $75.00 for students; free to federal employees.
· Website: http://www.vcu-projectempowerment.org/registration/conference/index.cfm

Hotel Information:
· Name: Crystal Gateway Marriott
· Deadline: February 15th, 2012
· Conference Price: $183.00/night
· To Book: Call (703) 920-3230 and ask for the group rate for "Project Empowerment."

Thank you,
Juan Carlos Arango

[...]

•       First drafts due – April 30
•       Feedback to authors – May 31
•       Final draft due – July 31

If you are interested in contributing please contact us via email at [log in to unmask] and wap[log in to unmask] (please include both of us in your reply).  Include an abstract of no more than 500 words describing your essay and how it addresses one of the themes of this text.

You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. --f46d043be256774a9004b75dc19e-- ========================================================================Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:51:46 -1000 Reply-To: Megan Conway <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Megan Conway <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Discounted Subscription to RDS when you register for Pacific Rim Conference Comments: To: Review of Disability Studies <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], Disabled faculty network <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask], Center on Disability Studies <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] MIME-version: 1.0 Content-type: multipart/alternative; boundary="Boundary_(ID_d3hrGsCkh8f8kqoL2/HQ2w)" Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --Boundary_(ID_d3hrGsCkh8f8kqoL2/HQ2w) Content-type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT Aloha! We are now offering 20% off personal subscriptions to the Review of Disability Studies: An International Journal when you register for the Pacific Rim Conference on Disability in Honolulu. Learn more about RDS by going to www.rds.hawaii.edu To register for Pac Rim and take advantage of this offer go to www.pacrim.hawaii.edu. If you have already registered for the conference and want to subscribe to RDS at the discounted rate, you can click "view or modify your registration from the online registration page. -- *Megan A. Conway, Ph.D.* *Assistant Professor, Center on Disability Studies ** * Center on Disability Studies, University of Hawaii at Manoa 1776 University Avenue, UA 4-7, Honolulu, HI 96822 Phone: 808-956-6166 Fax: 808-956-7878 Email: [log in to unmask] ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. --Boundary_(ID_d3hrGsCkh8f8kqoL2/HQ2w) Content-type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT Aloha! We are now offering 20% off personal subscriptions to the Review of Disability Studies: An International Journal when you register for the Pacific Rim Conference on Disability in Honolulu. Learn more about RDS by going to www.rds.hawaii.edu To register for Pac Rim and take advantage of this offer go to www.pacrim.hawaii.edu. If you have already registered for the conference and want to subscribe to RDS at the discounted rate, you can click "view or modify your registration from the online registration page.

--

You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. --Boundary_(ID_d3hrGsCkh8f8kqoL2/HQ2w)-- ========================================================================Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:05:32 +0000 Reply-To: Debbie Jolly <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Debbie Jolly <[log in to unmask]> Subject: [welfarecutsprotest-national] PRESS RELEASE: Disabled activists and UK Uncut join to oppose =?UTF-8?Q?‘cruel_and_unnecessary’_?=welfare bill Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> For Immediate Release Tel: UK Uncut Media Phone: 07415063231 / DPAC: 01926842253 http://twitter.com/ukuncut Email [log in to unmask] On Saturday 28 January, activists from Disabled People Against Cuts(1), Disabled People's Direct Action Network(2) and UK Uncut(3) will occupy an area of central London in a ‘daring and disruptive’ act of civil disobedience in opposition to the government’s Welfare Reform Bill which is currently being debated in the Lords. The activists are angry about the impact that the proposed Welfare Reform Bill will have on poor and disabled people. Recent reports have shown that as a result of the bill 500,000 families stand to lose their homes while others will become ‘imprisoned in them’(4). Nearly half a million people would lose their Disability Living Allowance, including disabled children(5). People with terminal illnesses would be forced into work, and 3.2 million will be put through demanding tests that have already pushed some to take their own lives(6). According to their own research, the government’s flagship reform will push 100,000 children into poverty(7). The government has defended the bill on the grounds that it needs to cut the deficit. However, the activists point out that much greater amounts of money are lost through tax dodging by the super-rich each year, money which could instead continue current welfare provision. In January, Private Eye revealed a further £2 billion tax dodge by Vodafone, in addition to the £6 billion scam revealed in 2010(8). The most recent dodge by Vodafone is greater than the cuts to Disability Living Allowance, which will affect half a million people. The bill continues to be debated in the Lords, but will have to return to the House of Commons, where MPs will vote on peer's amendments to the bill. In spite of strong criticism of the bill from disabled peers, David Cameron has already sworn that he will call on coalition MPs to overturn the amendments. The target of the secret action is not being pre-announced, with UK Uncut only calling on people to travel to Holborn tube station in central London with a charged Oyster card, ready to travel to a secret location. The exact details of where the action is expected to be leaked through Twitter. Richard Whitehurst of DPAC said: “These vicious cuts have already led to at least 31 disabled people committing suicide and many more are now talking about it as they feel they have no future. In the 21st century, in one of the richest nations in the world, disabled people should not be forced to live in fear every day of their lives. Cuts to disabled people's benefits and services will not save money but will ultimately cost the taxpayer far more as pushing disabled people into destitution and withdrawing care services will lead to an increased demand for NHS care. With the cap on benefits some single disabled people living in London will be left with only £25 a week to meet all their needs for food, heating and all other costs after paying their rent." Sarah Evans of UK Uncut said: “British people are proud of the welfare state because it has provided for the 99% for over 60 years. This bill will remove vital lifelines and force people into deeper poverty, making many prisoners in their own homes. This Bill is simply not needed or wanted by anyone. There are alternatives- we can afford a fair welfare system that provides for all." “Instead of taking serious action against rich companies tax dodging and their ‘fancy corporate lawyers’ David Cameron is instead choosing to make the poorest and most isolated pay for the economic crisis they didn't cause. At least £25 billion of tax is avoided every single year by super rich companies and individuals, far more than the government hopes to save through this devastating bill. The welfare reform bill is cruel and unnecessary and it must be stopped.†ENDS 1 – Disabled People Against Cuts is a UK based organisation fighting for justice and human rights for all disabled people. http://www.dpac.uk.net/ | http://twitter.com/Dis_PPL_Protest 2 - http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/square/de95/m_civrgt.htm 3 – UK Uncut is a grassroots anti-austerity direct action network. The announcement of the action is available at http://www.ukuncut.org.uk/blog/message-from-the-invisible 4 - http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/joepublic/2011/dec/14/welfare-reform-families-lose-homes & http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/16050 5 - http://www.mencap.org.uk/news/article/half-million-disabled-people-may-lose-benefit 6 - http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk/latest-news2/medical-test-for-dla & http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/may/31/consequences-benefit-changes-mental-health 7 - http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/jan/22/housing-crisis-benefit-cuts?intcmp=239 8 - http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=in_the_back& ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ========================================================================Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 01:01:36 -0500 Reply-To: "Lissner, Scott" <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: "Lissner, Scott" <[log in to unmask]> Subject: 6th International Women's Institute on Leadership and Disability Comments: To: [log in to unmask] MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> 6th International Women's Institute on Leadership and Disability (WILD) Applications are now open! Deadline March 1, 2012 MIUSA's Women's Institute on Leadership and Disability (WILD) will bring together approximately 30 women leaders with disabilities from approximately 30 different countries, to strengthen leadership skills, create new visions and build international networks of support for inclusive international development programming. During the three-week program, participants will take part in workshops, seminars and discussions, conduct on-site visits, and participate in team-building activities, to explore challenges and exchange strategies for increasing leadership opportunities and participation of women and girls with disabilities in international development programs. The WILD program will include interactive workshops, site visits and practical activities on priority issues for women with disabilities, including: * National and International Policies and Legislation, including the UN Convention of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Disability Policy * Educational rights and opportunities including specialized and inclusive schools, policy and legal rights, services and accommodations for accessibility * Leadership for economic empowerment, including higher education, training models, supported employment, microenterprise, private sector partnerships, career mentorship, skill-building, employment policy, and career development. * Health and family issues including parenting, health care, HIV/AIDS, reproductive health and violence prevention * Using the media * Coalition building * Organizational development and sustainability, including funding resources and strategies, and fostering partnerships with community organizations and businesses * Goals and action plans to promote collaborative relationships with other organizations for the inclusion of women and girls with disabilities in international development programs. * Inclusive international development, including exchanging strategies for inclusion with representatives from U.S-based international development organizations and/or human rights organizations * Cultural and team-building experiences * Mentorship and networking For more information or to download an application go to: http://www.miusa.org/exchange/currentprogs/wild/wild2012/index_html The official languages of WILD are English, Arabic, Spanish and American Sign Language (ASL). Participants must have at least conversational ability in English and/or be familiar with ASL. L. Scott Lissner, Ohio State University ADA Coordinator, Office Of Diversity And Inclusion Associate, John Glenn School of Public Affairs Lecturer, Knowlton School of Architecture, Moritz College of Law & Disability Studies President Elect, Association on Higher Education And Disability Chair, ADA-OHIO Appointed, Ohio Governor's Council For People With Disabilities, State HAVA Committee & Columbus Advisory Council on Disability Issues (614) 292-6207(v); (614) 688-8605(tty) (614) 688-3665(fax); Http://ada.osu.edu 291 W. Lane Ave , Columbus, OH 43210-1266 ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ========================================================================Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 12:28:21 +0000 Reply-To: Colin Barnes <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Colin Barnes <[log in to unmask]> Subject: **Announcing Inclusive Education Conference Leeds April 2012** Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_000_D327F9D8FBEF8449A9768C933870D93D02C27F39B99DHERMES8dsle_" MIME-Version: 1.0 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --_000_D327F9D8FBEF8449A9768C933870D93D02C27F39B99DHERMES8dsle_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable FYI Colin Conference Announcement The Future of Inclusive Education: Future Bright or Future in Crisis? The Centre for Disability Studies, University of Leeds invites you to attend a one-day conference to debate the future of Inclusive Education in the UK. DATE & TIME: Monday 2nd April, registration 9.30 -10.00am, close of conference 4.30pm. VENUE: Weetwood Hall Hotel & Conference Centre, University of Leeds, Otley Rd, Leeds, LS16 5PS. REGISTRATION FEE: £50 to waged; and free for unwaged delegates. In 2011 the new Government in the UK announced its desire to 'remove the bias towards inclusion'. This has sparked fears for the future of inclusive education in the UK. Here at the Centre for Disability Studies, University of Leeds, we believe that now is the time to bring together all those who are committed to the ideal of inclusive education, to take stock of progress to date here in the UK, celebrate the successes, highlight the challenges/barriers, share our fears for the future and unite in our hopes and aspirations. It is time for a new Manifesto for Inclusive Education! And we need to write this together! Guest speakers will include young disabled people and their parents, Tara Flood (leading activist and Director of the Alliance for Inclusive Education), Sally French (celebrated writer, lecturer and special school survivor) and Prof. Len Barton (Emeritus Professor of Inclusive Education, University of London and leading academic in the field). There will be a short performance from Musical ARC, a group that runs workshops for schools with the aim of breaking down barriers and challenging perceptions about disability, whilst creating music. Delegates will be invited to take part in workshop activities during the afternoon, to share their views/thoughts about inclusive education. If you would like to attend this event then please contact Marie Johnson ([log in to unmask] or tel: 0113 343 4407) to book your place. Please note: the venue is fully accessible. Please book early to ensure a place - these will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. --_000_D327F9D8FBEF8449A9768C933870D93D02C27F39B99DHERMES8dsle_ Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. --_000_D327F9D8FBEF8449A9768C933870D93D02C27F39B99DHERMES8dsle_-- ========================================================================Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:42:04 +0200 Reply-To: Simo Vehmas <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Simo Vehmas <[log in to unmask]> Subject: NNDR blog entry MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundarydae9340857f25edb04b781d222 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --14dae9340857f25edb04b781d222 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dear all, new NNDR blog entry by Dóra S. Bjarnason entitled "A rabid inclusionist" now on www.nndr.org. Regards, Simo Vehmas ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. --14dae9340857f25edb04b781d222 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. --14dae9340857f25edb04b781d222-- ========================================================================Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 07:44:43 +1100 Reply-To: Frank Hall-Bentick <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Frank Hall-Bentick <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Joint report by the OHCHR and UNICEF on people placed in institutions Comments: To: DPI World Council Elist <[log in to unmask]>, African Disability Rights <[log in to unmask]>, APD Asia Pacific Disability <[log in to unmask]>, GPDD <[log in to unmask]>, PDF <[log in to unmask]>, OZAdvocacy <[log in to unmask]>, OZPhysDis <[log in to unmask]>, ANSWD <[log in to unmask]>, WWDA-Discuss <[log in to unmask]> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0023_01CCDD90.B45FAD20" Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> This is a multipart message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0023_01CCDD90.B45FAD20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Word copy at http://db.tt/1sp3TJ4b From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of cristina campos Sent: Friday, 27 January 2012 7:52 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: [IDA_CRPD_Forum] Joint report by the OHCHR and UNICEF on people placed in institutions Dear All, The OHCHR and UNICEF have published a joint report documenting human rights of people placed in institutions, particularly children and violation of human rights of persons with disabilities. It has also produced a video on the subject, which highlights the experiences of Mikhail in Moldova and Assen in Bulgaria who both grew up in institutional care. Please click the link to get more information on this report and to see the video "Forgotten Europeans": http://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/ForgottenEuropeans.aspx Best Regards, Cristina Campos __._,_.___ Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1) Recent Activity: . New Members 4 Visit Your Group Yahoo! Groups Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest . Unsubscribe . Terms of Use . __,_._,___ ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ------=_NextPart_000_0023_01CCDD90.B45FAD20 Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Word copy at http://db.tt/1sp3TJ4b

The OHCHR and UNICEF have published a joint report documenting human rights of people placed in institutions, particularly children and violation of human rights of persons with disabilities. It has also produced a video on the subject, which highlights the experiences of Mikhail in Moldova and Assen in Bulgaria who both grew up in institutional care.

Please click the link to get more information on this report and to see the video "Forgotten Europeans": http://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/ForgottenEuropeans.aspx

Best Regards,

Cristina Campos

Recent Activity:

·       New Members 4

.

You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ------=_NextPart_000_0023_01CCDD90.B45FAD20-- ========================================================================Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 12:54:56 +0000 Reply-To: Liz Crow <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Liz Crow <[log in to unmask]> Subject: The Resistance Symposium Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> Fri 10 Feb 10.00am-5.00pm: The Resistance Symposium in association with Manchester Metropolitan University Registration from 10am, presentations from 11am Free entry and open to all BSL interpreter present The Resistance symposium sets out to explore contemporary critical and cultural representations of disability from both an academic perspective and from the perspective of practising artists and arts organisations. The symposium will include presentations by Liz Crow, Professor Dan Goodley and Dr Lucy Burke of the Critical Disability Studies network at Manchester Metropolitan University and a roundtable discussion involving Liz Crow and Chris Hammond of Full Circle Arts. Session One: Critical and Cultural Disability Studies Today 11.00am: Presentation by Professor Dan Goodley, MMU 12.00pm: Presentation by Dr Lucy Burke, MMU, ‘Disability is Ordinary’ 1.00pm: Lunch and an opportunity to view the exhibition 2.00pm: Presentation by Liz Crow: The Making of Resistance, including the historical background and what it means for us today 3.00pm: Coffee 3.30pm: Disability Arts Today Roundtable Discussion 4.45pm: Close 5.00pm Resistance launch event More information from: Zion Arts Centre box office 0161 226 1912 / [log in to unmask] / zionarts.com/ ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ========================================================================Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 12:56:06 +0000 Reply-To: Liz Crow <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Liz Crow <[log in to unmask]> Subject: The Resistance Symposium Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> Events and talks (free entry) include: Fri 10 Feb 10.00am-5.00pm: The Resistance Symposium in association with Manchester Metropolitan University Registration from 10am, presentations from 11am Zion Arts Centre 335 Stretford Road, Hulme M15 5ZA Free entry and open to all BSL interpreter present The Resistance symposium sets out to explore contemporary critical and cultural representations of disability from both an academic perspective and from the perspective of practising artists and arts organisations. The symposium will include presentations by Liz Crow, Professor Dan Goodley and Dr Lucy Burke of the Critical Disability Studies network at Manchester Metropolitan University and a roundtable discussion involving Liz Crow and Chris Hammond of Full Circle Arts. Session One: Critical and Cultural Disability Studies Today 11.00am: Presentation by Professor Dan Goodley, MMU 12.00pm: Presentation by Dr Lucy Burke, MMU, ‘Disability is Ordinary’ 1.00pm: Lunch and an opportunity to view the exhibition 2.00pm: Presentation by Liz Crow: The Making of Resistance, including the historical background and what it means for us today 3.00pm: Coffee 3.30pm: Disability Arts Today Roundtable Discussion 4.45pm: Close 5.00pm Resistance launch event More information from: Zion Arts Centre box office 0161 226 1912 / [log in to unmask] / zionarts.com/ ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ========================================================================Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 12:12:22 +0000 Reply-To: Liz Crow <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Liz Crow <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Artist's talk =?UTF-8?Q?–_?=Liz Crow talks about the making of Resistance Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> Meet the Artist – Liz Crow talks about the making of Resistance Sat 11 Feb 11.30am-1.30pm Zion Arts Centre 335 Stretford Road, Hulme M15 5ZA Box office 0161 226 1912 / [log in to unmask] The Resistance installation tours to Zion Arts Centre from Friday 10 February to Saturday 3 March 2012 Open Mon-Friday 10am-9pm
Sat 9am-5pm www.roaring-girl.com/productions/resistance-on-tour ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ========================================================================Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 05:31:48 -0500 Reply-To: Petra Kuppers <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Petra Kuppers <[log in to unmask]> Subject: This week: International Disability/Culture Symposium, University of Michigan MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> Should you find yourself anywhere near Ann Arbor, Michigan, this week, join us in our fifth annual arts-based research symposium: Disability/Culture, January 31st to February 2nd 2012 Symposium Program (all events in the Duderstadt Video Performance Studio on North Campus, unless otherwise stated. Events marked ‘open’ are open to the public, just walk or wheel in. If you want to participate in other workshops, please email the symposium director, [log in to unmask], so she can send you relevant information or readings) Tuesday, January 31st 11-12: Slow Start/Hang Out: Lisa Steichmann/Petra Kuppers (both UofM): Under the Echo/Spherical, artist's books and sound art. Informal artist talk and poetry reading, Slusser Gallery, Art and Design Building, North Campus (open) 2 Symposium Opening and Welcome 3-4 Sue Cheesman (Dance Education, University of Waikato, Aotearoa/New Zealand): movement workshop (open) 4-5: Disability Culture video interviews (in studio, one-on-one) 6-6.30 Studio visit with Sadashi Inuzuka (Art and Design ceramics studio, across the street from the Duderstadt, open) 6.40-8.15: Roundtable: what is/are disability culture(s)? Presentations by Jennifer Eisenhauer (Art Education, The Ohio State University), Yulia Arakelyan and Erik Ferguson (Independent Artists, Portland, OR), discussion with Melanie Yergeau (UofM) and symposium fellows, open Wednesday, February 1st 10-11.30 Margaret Ames (Theatre, Aberystwyth University, Wales, and Cyrff Ystwyth dance company): performance workshop 11.45-12.45 Neil Marcus (independent artist, Berkeley, CA): Special Effects, followed by Olimpias Somatics/Expression taster workshop (Petra Kuppers, UofM) open 1.00-2.00 lunch 2-3 Ariel Osterweis (Dance Department, Wayne State University) and Aimee Meredith Cox (African and African American Studies, Fordham University): Embodied Translations: A Movement Workshop 3.30-4.30 Pam Block (Cultural Anthropology, Occupational Therapy, SUNY Stonybrook): accessible self-defense workshop, open 4.45-5.45: Cheryl Kaplan Zachariah (independent theatre artist, Chicago): performative debriefing Thursday, February 2nd: 10-1: time to devise a short performance piece for the afternoon. We’ll make it work together, no leader: the process is the product. We will break every 45 mins or so to check in about physical/emotional/cognitive/other access: what are our boundary spaces, where are balances of pressure and creativity? 2.30: UM Initiative on Disability Studies Spring Conference (open) - Performance by the whole group - Solo performance by Yulia Arakelyan - Presentation by Sadashi Inuzuka (UofM), on his work in disability settings in Japan, and on his professional journey as a blind sculptor - Video Screenings: introduced segments from work by Touch Compass Dance Company, Aotearoa/New Zealand; by Cyrff Ystwyth, theatre work by developmentally disabled artists; by The Olimpias: The Journey to the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no-ZohJxWZE), a video shot during the 2011 arts-based research symposium) Q+A with audience 4.30-5.30: Poster Session, Central Collaboration Area (open) Poster presentations by members of the university and the wider local community Supported by UMInDS, Art and Design, English, Social Work, and the Global Scholars Program; Spherical supported by Institute for Research on Women and Gender Petra Kuppers Associate Professor English, Art and Design, Theatre, Women's Studies Faculty Affiliate with the Center for World Performance Studies and Matthaei Botanical Gardens University of Michigan 435 S. State Street, 3216 Angell Hall, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1003 mobile: 734-239-2634 Artistic Director of The Olimpias, www.olimpias.org New books! Disability Culture and Community Performance: Find a Strange and Twisted Shape, on Olimpias practices (Palgrave, August 2011, http://www.palgrave.com/products/title.aspx?pid=504063) Somatic Engagement, an edited collection of artists on the poetics, politics and publics of embodiment (Chain Links, October 2011, http://www.chainarts.org/somatic%20engagement.htm) ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ========================================================================Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:20:29 -0000 Reply-To: "Depaor, Aisling" <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: "Depaor, Aisling" <[log in to unmask]> Subject: SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT: 'Genetic Discrimination - Transatlantic Perspectives on the Case for a European Level Legal Response' (Brussels, 6th March 2012) MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> Dear All, The Centre for Disability Law and Policy, Galway will host a seminar in conjunction with the European Disability Forum and the European Parliament Disability Intergroup, on the topic of 'Genetic Discrimination - Transatlantic Perspectives on the Case for a European Level Legal Response'. The seminar is taking place from 2- 6pm on 6th March 2012 in the European Parliament in Brussels. There will be no registration fee to attend. The purpose of this event is to bring together key stakeholders in the area to examine and further highlight the case for a European level legal and policy response to protect the privacy of genetic information and to prevent genetic discrimination, particularly in the employment and insurance contexts. The Centre for Disability Law and Policy recently hosted a conference on 19th November 2011 entitled 'Genetic Discrimination - Transatlantic Perspectives on the Case for a European Level Legal Response'. The conference highlighted the interdisciplinary nature of this area and focused on the interaction between genetic science, technology, ethics and the law, and in particular, how best to regulate this complex area. On foot of the scientific and legal expertise offered, and on consideration of the potential for abuse and the fundamental human rights at stake, the conference strongly indicated a need for an appropriate regulatory response at European level to protect the privacy of genetic information and to prevent genetic discrimination. The event in March 2012 aims to build upon the discussion generated from the conference last November and further highlight this issue at European level. For further details, or to register for this event, please go to: http://conference.ie/Conferences/index.asp?Conference=161 For other enquiries and special requirements, please email [log in to unmask] Kind regards, Aisling Aisling de Paor IRCHSS Scholar Centre for Disability Law and Policy National University of Ireland, Galway T +353 91 494 017 M +353 87 665 7365 ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ========================================================================Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 14:07:55 +0000 Reply-To: "A.F.OShea-poon" <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: "A.F.OShea-poon" <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Conference: Inclusive learning in F&HE - 16 Feb - bursary places available now In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_000_1685CD8D16FA8B4DA85004C8B26C27300100A95CCASALCEYCMS1ope_" MIME-Version: 1.0 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --_000_1685CD8D16FA8B4DA85004C8B26C27300100A95CCASALCEYCMS1ope_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Inclusive Learning in Further and Higher Education (F&HE): Innovations in research, practice and learner engagement Celebrating the contribution of Peter Lavender to the field of inclusive learning Thursday 16 February 2012 The Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA STOP PRESS Here's a final opportunity to sign up to participate in a landmark conference that addresses the full spectrum of inclusive learning in Further and Higher Education. Funds are now available to offer bursary places @ £50 on this conference to: * Students studying for their Masters or PhD * Students of Initial Teacher Training courses * Associate Lecturers at The Open University * Learner Support Staff To reserve a bursary, visit the conference website: http://www.niace.org.uk/campaigns-events/events/inclusive-learning-in-further-and-higher-education This conference is brought to you jointly by: * The Learning and Skills Improvement Service, * The National Institute for Adult Continuing Education, and * The Open University Focus: The conference focuses on the innovations and opportunities that will lead to mainstreaming of inclusive learning and shares research and practice in Further and Higher Education, with a view to understanding what the sectors can learn from each other, and importantly, what researchers and practitioners can learn from engagement with disabled learners. Aims: * Consider the role of inclusive adult learning in F&HE in the past 15 years * Share innovative research and practice in inclusive learning in F&HE * Inspire further innovation to shape future policy and practice in inclusive learning * Reinforce the importance and value of learner engagement in developing understandings and approaches to inclusive learning. Conference chairs: Mr Will Swann, Director, Students, The Open University Mr Rob Wye, Chief Executive, Learning and Skills Improvement Service Speakers: Dr. Peter Lavender OBE FRSA, Senior Research Fellow, NIACE Dr. Lesley Dee, formerly Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge Professor Alan Tuckett OBE, President, International Council for Adult Education Dr. Liz Marr, Director of the Centre for Inclusion and Curriculum, The Open University Ms Deborah Cooper, NIACE Board Member and The Open University's Library Services Audience: The conference will be of interest to individuals and organisations across the full spectrum of adult learning: higher education, further education, workplace learning and community-based learning. It will be of particular benefit to: * Senior policy makers * Inclusive education researchers * Practitioners and learners who advocate for active learner engagement * Those responsible for teaching methodologies * Student support staff * Individuals developing curriculum. Workshop themes: The conference will host 10 workshops under the themes: * Learners' Voices, * Curriculum, Teaching and Quality, and * Policy, Strategy and Research. The workshops are described on the conference website. Reservations and enquiries: To reserve a bursary or full fee place, visit the conference website: http://www.niace.org.uk/campaigns-events/events/inclusive-learning-in-further-and-higher-education Enquiries to NIACE Events Team: 0116 204 2833; [log in to unmask] -- The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302). ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. --_000_1685CD8D16FA8B4DA85004C8B26C27300100A95CCASALCEYCMS1ope_ Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. --_000_1685CD8D16FA8B4DA85004C8B26C27300100A95CCASALCEYCMS1ope_-- ========================================================================Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 10:00:09 -0500 Reply-To: Maria Barile <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Maria Barile <[log in to unmask]> Subject: seeking information MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0039_01CCDF35.F34E2FB0" Message-ID: This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0039_01CCDF35.F34E2FB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi I wonder if someone can provide me with information on when the various disability studies programs have begun in the Europe, North America and Asia. I'm preparing a talk and would like to link disability movement(s) stages of the movement pre -disability studies and post Maria ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ------=_NextPart_000_0039_01CCDF35.F34E2FB0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ------=_NextPart_000_0039_01CCDF35.F34E2FB0-- ========================================================================Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 15:59:20 +0000 Reply-To: Jenny Morris <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Jenny Morris <[log in to unmask]> Subject: welfare reform bill Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> Independent and Labour members of the House of Lords are tomorrow trying, once again, to stop the reduction in money going to disabled children under the welfare reforms. Government Minister, David Freud, has justified this reduction by saying that the gap between what disabled children on lower and middle rates of Disability Living Allowance get. and what they will then get under the new Universal Credit system as they move into adulthood is too large - so the solution is to get them used to living in poverty as that's what's in store when they are adults. http://jennymorrisnet.blogspot.com/2012/01/logic-of-reducing-benefits-for-disabled.html ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ========================================================================Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 17:29:48 -0000 Reply-To: Christine Nightingale <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Christine Nightingale <[log in to unmask]> Subject: EDI Conference 2012 - Stream 9: The business case for equality, diversity and inclusion - Is there one? MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----_=_NextPart_002_01CCDF74.C4AE8F3A" Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> ------_=_NextPart_002_01CCDF74.C4AE8F3A Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dear Colleagues, There is still time to submit a proposal for the forthcoming annual 'Equality, Diversity and Inclusion' Conference in Toulouse. I am particularly interested in receiving papers on research and development that has explored evidence for the business case for implementing equality and diversity measures. Please follow the following link: http://www.edi-conference.org/streams.php and go to Stream 9 'The business case for equality, diversity and inclusion - Is there one?' Please forward this message on to colleagues who may be interested. Thank you. Best wishes Christine Nightingale Dr Christine Nightingale Head of Equality and Diversity, POD DE MONTFORT UNIVERSITY T: +44 (0) 116 2256436 E: [log in to unmask] W: dmu.ac.uk S Logo.jpg AS Logo.JPG TT Logo.jpg SIO Logo.JPG ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ------_=_NextPart_002_01CCDF74.C4AE8F3A Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ------_=_NextPart_002_01CCDF74.C4AE8F3A-- ========================================================================Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 07:43:06 +0000 Reply-To: Colin Barnes <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Colin Barnes <[log in to unmask]> Subject: FW: Submit your research to Disability and Society In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MIME-Version: 1.0 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> FYI Colin ________________________________ From: Routledge Education [[log in to unmask]] Sent: 30 January 2012 10:53 To: Colin Barnes Subject: Submit your research to Disability and Society [http://images.tandf.co.uk/email/routledge/header.jpg] Submit your paper today to Disability & Society [http://images.tandf.co.uk/email/diag_shade.gif] Dear http://cats.tfinforma.com/PTS/in?t=rl&doi=10.1080/09687590903010909 Barnes, [http://www.tandf.co.uk/common/jcovers/websmall/C/CDSO.jpg]Disability & Society is an international journal providing a focus for debate about such issues as human rights, discrimination, definitions, policy and practices. It appears against a background of change in the ways in which disability is viewed and responded to. The journal seeks submissions for a forthcoming special issue on Disability, Global conflicts and Crises As the world’s leading journal in disability studies, this new special issue will explore new challenges and forms of resistance associated with global conflicts and crises faced by disabled people in the 21st century. The final deadline for receipt of paper is 1st August 2012, and all submissions should be made on the Disability & Society ScholarOne Manuscript site. For more information about this special issue, guest editors and submission deadlines, please click here. Kind Regards, Routledge Education [http://images.tandf.co.uk/email/eUpdates/routledge_logo.gif] [http://images.tandf.co.uk/email/diag_shade.gif] [http://images.tandf.co.uk/email/eUpdates_logo.jpg] If you would like to receive regular eUpdates from the Taylor & Francis Group on books, journals and other news within your areas of interest, please register your email address. Set up content alerts simply by clicking on the Alert me link on the publication pages at www.tandfonline.com You will be able to update your details or unsubscribe at any time. We respect your privacy and will not disclose, rent or sell your email address to any outside organisations. Copyright © 2011 Taylor & Francis, an Informa Business Informa plc ("Informa") Registered Office: Mortimer House, 37-41 Mortimer Street, London, W1T 3JH. Registered in England and Wales - Number 3099067. If you wish to unsubscribe, please click on the link below. Please note this is an automated operation. [http://hosted.adestra.com/messagefocus/pb.gif] http://tandf.msgfocus.com/u/1NQDSjvCSERSfu [http://tandf.msgfocus.com/t/1NQDSjvCSERSfu.png] ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ========================================================================Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 08:02:25 +0000 Reply-To: Colin Barnes <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Colin Barnes <[log in to unmask]> Subject: FW: BI/Stuttering/Award/Family & Labor [ARS VIVENDI E-mail Magazine 066] In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MIME-Version: 1.0 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> FYI Colin ________________________________________ From: KATAOKA Minoru [[log in to unmask]] Sent: 31 January 2012 02:16 To: katami-a Subject: BI/Stuttering/Award/Family & Labor [ARS VIVENDI E-mail Magazine 066] ================================================================= ArsVivendi E-mail Magazine No.66 (January 31, 2011) ================================================================= We, Global COE Program Ars Vivendi, would like to let you know the following four news. 1) We have been enriching the contents of Basic Income. http://www.arsvi.com/d/bi-e.htm 2) Dr. Katsunori Watanabe, our postdoctoral fellow, writes about stuttering. http://www.ritsumei-arsvi.org/en/news/read/id/161 3) Ms. Kashimi Yoshida received an award, "The 9th Incentive Award of the Japanese Association for Philosophical and Ethical Researches in Medicine," in 2011 through her article, "Dr. Kikuta Incident and Issue of Revising the Eugenic Protection Act." http://www.ritsumei-arsvi.org/en/news/read/id/160 4) We have made an English-version page of Prelude to the Theory of Family and Division of Labor by Gender Role. http://www.arsvi.com/ts2000/2011b1-e.htm *Please click below for more detailed information about our program. http://www.arsvi.com/a/index.htm http://www.ritsumei-arsvi.org/en/ We are eager to promote collaborative research projects with disabled patients' advocacy groups, non-profit organizations, as well as domestic and international researchers. [Ars Vivendi E-mail Magazine] For comments, subscription and cancellation of this e-mail magazine, please e-mail [log in to unmask] For past issues of our e-mail magazine, please take a look at http://www.arsvi.com/a/eme.htm General Editor : Shin'ya Tateiwa Chief Editor : Minoru Kataoka Publication : Research Center for Ars Vivendi, RitsumeikanUniversity 56-1 Kitamachi, Tojiin, Kita-ku, Kyoto, Japan 603-8577 ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. ========================================================================Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:15:51 -0800 Reply-To: Anthony Tusler <[log in to unmask]> Sender: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From: Anthony Tusler <[log in to unmask]> Subject: New Podcast with Bethany Stevens Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="Apple-Mail=_C7FA61AE-1E4C-4C65-83F7-16B7D4E3BCD2" Mime-Version: 1.0 (Apple Message framework v1251.1) Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --Apple-Mail=_C7FA61AE-1E4C-4C65-83F7-16B7D4E3BCD2 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252 Don’t miss Bethany Steven’s fascinating interview on Telling Our Disability Stories. In the podcast available on iTunes she talks with me, the host, Anthony Tusler, about her latest research in trainability. It is the phenomenon of able-bodied people passing as disabled. We have a wide ranging conversation touching on disability identity, sexuality, politics, and her recent marriage. Bethany Stevens is a professor and researcher in disability leadership and sexuality. In 2011 she was awarded the Irving K. Zola award for an emerging scholar in Disability Studies by the Society for Disability Studies. Her paper, “Interrogating Transability: A Catalyst to View Disability as Body Art,” explores able-bodied people passing as disabled. To listen or download the podcast just search for “disability stories” or “Tusler” on the iTunes store. Telling Our Disability Stories is a monthly podcast sponsored by the Accessible Technology Coalition. Anthony Tusler 707 795-0515 AboutDisability.com ________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page. --Apple-Mail=_C7FA61AE-1E4C-4C65-83F7-16B7D4E3BCD2 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/html; charset=windows-1252