Dear Simon,

Re: Penny, what is a 'false binary'?

I trust that you are probably teasing me. However, in case you are not:

 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_numeral_system> Binary numeral system, a representation for numbers using only two digits (0 and 1) (wikipedia)

Carl called for us not to get into the idea of : “independent trainer "good", supplier trainer "bad" sort of thread!” – I agree.

A ‘false binary’ is my shorthand term for a very common political strategy aimed to obscure an issue by reducing it to a binary (a or b), which is a false presentation of it because it does not take into account c, d, e…n as well.

Other false binaries that had arisen prior to my making the point include;

·         Skype/remote access (legitimate or not)

·         face to face (sinister/or not)

Your initial point was specific and well-drawn, taking into account several elements, and is worth raising with SFE, who I am sure are capable a treating a question with the complexity it deserves.

Kind regards,

Penny