On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 02:19:21PM -0500, Tom Baker wrote:
> I propose to limit the entities of the DCMI Abstract Model to the following,
> and to use the same names for a DC-TEXT-inspired notation (which could be
> folded into the "technical" DCAM document and used for examples):
>
>     Record
>     DescriptionSet
>     Description
>     StatementSet            - alternative suggestions welcome - this will require discussion!!
>     DescribedResourceURI
>     DescribedResourceID     - new!
>     PropertyURI
>     ValueURI
>     ValueID                 - new!
>     ValueString             - re-defined with more restrictive meaning

Hmm, maybe this should be LiteralValue - see below.

>     ValueLabel

The DCAM Description Set Model does not distinguish between Value Strings at
different locations of the Model [1], but DC-TEXT does make a distinction
between a ValueString (the equivalent of an RDF literal when used to annotate
the Object of an RDF Statement with another RDF Statement with the predicate
rdf:value) [3] and a LiteralValueString (equivalent to an RDF literal when used
directly as the Object of an RDF Statement).

Ideally, DCAM 2.0 would be expressible entirely in DC-TEXT, and if DC-TEXT
needs to make this distinction in order to be unambiguously mappable to RDF
triples, then I see the lack of such a distinction as a weakness of the
(current) DCAM Description Set Model.

The proposed name "ValueLabel" (and proposed predicate rdfs:label) are intended
to capture this notion of annotating a non-literal value with a literal.  Hmm,
maybe DCAM 2.0 should follow DC-TEXT, with its LiteralValueString, and call this
simply LiteralValue.

LiteralValue
    RDF literal used directly as the Object of an RDF Statement about the
    Described Resource

ValueLabel
    RDF literal used as the object of an rdfs:label statement about the non-literal
    object of an RDF Statement about the Described Resource

Tom

[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/2007/06/04/abstract-model/description-set-model.jpg
[2] http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-text
[3] http://dublincore.org/documents/2008/01/14/dc-rdf/rdfexamplefig2.png