I read an interesting analogy by Blogger Cyclinginfo (an adept racing and commuter cyclist) http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/ this morning paraphrasing Michael Hutchinson writing in Cycling Weekly a couple of weeks ago: "Cycle around Kings Cross, London, and you can feel like a Lancaster bomber on a low flying mission across occupied Europe – trying to remain unmoved by all the flack coming from every angle. It’s not a surprise American and London cyclists are the most likely to wear a helmet, fluorescent jacket et al. , even if the effect is purely psychological, you feel like you need some kind of protection."

As our Understanding Walking and Cycling research based on extensive in-depth research across four cities outside of London made clear, we are kidding ourselves if we think that a democratic landscape of cycling will emerge out of the current transport system without radical overhaul. The key is to eradicate the war not to encourage the trembling troops to train to go into battle.

Tim Jones

On 31 January 2012 10:00, Chris Peck <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

This really is not my experience of cycling in London (UK), I'd suggest London (UK) is one of the more benign areas to cycle in in Britain hence some areas of the inner city with 10% modal share of cycling and rising. Cycling on rural A4 roads in Britain outwith built up areas can be far more intimidating.”

… and objectively more risky as well:

* 313 deaths per billion kms cycled on rural A-roads last year.

* 11 deaths per billion kms cycled on minor urban roads.

(see: http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Campaigns/1110_CTC_Transcom_RSS-con-final.pdf, from RAS30018)

From: Cycling and Society Research Group discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of gary cummins
Sent: 31 January 2012 09:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: A request for help

John Meudell said:

On that particular point, I’d suggest making a clear distinction between the UK and Europe.  My experience is that, if you can cycle confidently cycle around London without getting intimidated, run off the road or killed, you can survive anywhere!

This really is not my experience of cycling in London (UK), I'd suggest London (UK) is one of the more benign areas to cycle in in Britain hence some areas of the inner city with 10% modal share of cycling and rising. Cycling on rural A4 roads in Britain outwith built up areas can be far more intimidating.

Gary Cummins

CTC - the UK's national cyclists' organisation provides a comprehensive range of services, advice, events, and protection for its members.

CTC Charitable Trust, CTC's charity arm, works to promote cycling by raising public and political awareness of its health, social and environmental benefits, and by working with all communities to help realise those benefits.

To find out more, to join or support CTC visit www.ctc.org.uk, or phone 0844 736 8451.

Cyclists' Touring Club, a company limited by guarantee, registered in England number 25185.

CTC Charitable Trust, a company limited by guarantee, registered in England number 5125969. Registered as a charity in England and Wales number 1104324 and in Scotland number SCO38626

Registered office: Parklands, Railton Road, Guildford, GU2 9JX

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by CTC. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk

Research Fellow
Oxford Institute for Sustainable Development
& Department of Planning
Faculty of Technology Design and Environment
Oxford Brookes University
Gipsy Lane Campus
Oxford  OX3 0BP
Tel +44 (0)1865 483436
http://www.brookes.ac.uk/about/faculties/tde

EPSRC Understanding Walking and Cycling summary findings now available for download:
http://radar.brookes.ac.uk/radar/items/17bb3ed2-1209-b3e9-5357-614f329af72e/1/

Quote: "“A society which measures man’s [sic] worth in terms of volume of publications accumulated is no less sick than one which measures his worth in terms of dollars amassed” (Stea 1969:1)."

Stea D (1969) Positions, purposes, pragmatics: A journal of radical geography. Antipode 1(1):1–2