From: Cycling and Society Research Group discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of gary cummins
Sent: 31 January 2012 09:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: A request for help

John Meudell said:

On that particular point, I’d suggest making a clear distinction between the UK and Europe.  My experience is that, if you can cycle confidently cycle around London without getting intimidated, run off the road or killed, you can survive anywhere!

This really is not my experience of cycling in London (UK), I'd suggest London (UK) is one of the more benign areas to cycle in in Britain hence some areas of the inner city with 10% modal share of cycling and rising. Cycling on rural A4 roads in Britain outwith built up areas can be far more intimidating.

Gary Cummins

CTC - the UK's national cyclists' organisation provides a comprehensive range of services, advice, events, and protection for its members.

CTC Charitable Trust, CTC's charity arm, works to promote cycling by raising public and political awareness of its health, social and environmental benefits, and by working with all communities to help realise those benefits.

To find out more, to join or support CTC visit www.ctc.org.uk, or phone 0844 736 8451.

Cyclists' Touring Club, a company limited by guarantee, registered in England number 25185.

CTC Charitable Trust, a company limited by guarantee, registered in England number 5125969. Registered as a charity in England and Wales number 1104324 and in Scotland number SCO38626

Registered office: Parklands, Railton Road, Guildford, GU2 9JX

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by CTC. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk