The DFG-sponsored *International Graduate Research Program (IGK 1705/1)
"The World in the City: /Metropolitanism/ and Globalization from the
Nineteenth Century to the Present"//*is now accepting applications for
the following fellowships and positions during its first phase,
beginning May 1, 2012:

*12 Fellowships for PhD Candidates*

*(1,365 Euro / month for a maximum of three years)*

**

*1 Post-doc Position*

*(salary determined by qualifications TV-L E 13/14, full time, two years)*

**

Metropoles have always been spaces of encounter that have been
characterized by dense, heterogeneous populations, central economic and
political functions, as well as by an abundance of material and cultural
resources. Cities on every continent serve as transportation hubs and
institutional centers, which encourages new forms of consumption and
cultural diversity, but they also foster social inequalities and
practices of inclusion and exclusion. Moreover, they amplify ecological
problems. The development of the modern metropoles has always gone hand
in hand with the processes of globalization. In other words, without
global networks there would be no metropoles and without metropoles
there would be no globalization.

Our graduate research program investigates the globality of metropolitan
regions through the specific connections these areas have forged with
other parts of the world. Based on the hypothesis that /metropolitanism/
grows out of the diversity of transnational urban networks, we hope to
analyze not only the internal transformations, but the external
relationships (both imperial and post-colonial) that have shaped
metropolitan growth from the nineteenth century until today. We are
particularly interested in the reciprocity between Western and
non-Western cities. Our program covers the following four research
fields: architecture and urban planning, migration and mobility,
knowledge transfer and communication, and environment and
sustainability. Please find further information on these topics and the
content of the graduate research program under "DFG Graduate Research
Program 2012-2014" at: /www.metropolitanstudies.de
<http://www.metropolitanstudies.de>/.

This international graduate research program consists of a unique
collaboration among nine universities in Berlin, New York, and Toronto.
The program is based at the Center for Metropolitan Studies at the TU
Berlin. The other associated universities are Humboldt Universität
Berlin, Freie Universität Berlin, Columbia University, City University
of New York, Fordham University, New York University, University of
Toronto, and York University. The graduate program entails joint annual
conferences, workshops, and other forms of academic exchanges between
the professors and PhD candidates from Berlin, New York, and Toronto. In
addition, each fellow has the opportunity to spend a few months at one
of our partner universities in order to get acquainted with other
academic systems.

The program is interdisciplinary, but we place a special emphasis on
history. Candidates in the humanities, cultural studies, or social
sciences with a focus on urban studies as well as candidates in related
fields such as architecture, landscape architecture, and city and
regional planning are welcome to apply.

Eligibility Requirements: PhD candidates must have a qualifying degree
(MA, Magister, Diplom). Postdoctoral applicants must have successfully
completed their PhD at the time of application. The program languages
are English and German. Applicants must also be proficient in any other
languages necessary for their proposed research projects.

Application Materials: Application Form (available for download on our
website), Letter of Intent (max. 1 page), 5-8 pages Research Proposal,
Timeline, CV, two confidential Letters of Recommendation, Transcripts,
Proof of Language Proficiency. Application form can be downloaded here:

http://www.geschundkunstgesch.tu-berlin.de/fachgebiet_neuere_geschichte/menue/dfg_graduate_research_program_2012-2014/application/parameter/en/

Application Deadline: *January 31, 2012.*

Please mail to:

Technische Universität Berlin

Center for Metropolitan Studies

IGK "Die Welt in der Stadt"

Ernst-Reuter-Platz 7

TEL 3-0

10587 Berlin

Germany

Applications from abroad may also be sent via email to:

The Technische Universität Berlin (TU) is proud to bear the
certification of "Audit family friendly university." The TU is an equal
opportunity employer. Women are especially encouraged to apply. The
positions are appropriate for the disabled. Applications by disabled
candidates with equal academic qualifications will be prioritized.